Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/31/2009 9:08:32 PM EDT
I have a 36" long Tipton carbon fiber cleaning rod for use in a 223 AR15.  Out of the box, the rod is bent.  If you clamp the handle in a vise and turn the rod with your fingers at the handle end, the jag end scribes a circle 1/2" in diameter.  The rod itself is curved, you can sight down the rod and see it.  I use it with a Lucas Bore Guide and the jag end does bear lightly against the side of the barrel that the rod curves to.  Not much pressure at all, but you can just feel it.  Will carbon fiber rubbing on the barrel interior harm it?  I am not sure it bent enough to do this, but just asking.  I found the rod VERY difficult to get down the bore, but I think this was due to the Tipton patches which were 1-1/8".  I had to trim them to even fit in the bore.  

How straight are cleaning rods supposed to be?  This is my first one, so I have no historical perspective to go on.  I need to use the rod tomorrow (but won't if I should not), so appreciate any responses asap.  

Thank you.  

- Phil
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Send it back and have them give you a new one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a coated Dewey Rod. I have the Tipton CF rod and the Dewey and the Dewey is the better rod in every way.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top