Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2009 9:33:56 AM EDT
I went shooting with a Marine buddy of mine about three and a half weeks ago. We shot my Ak and Ar. Upon arriving at home, I had a message on my answering machine that my grandmother's house had burned down in California. We left immediatly to help. I just got back last night and today as I am sitting here at work, have just realized that my rifles have gone that whole time without being cleaned. We shot brown bear through the Ar and Silver bear through the Ak. Im not too worried about the Ak but the Ar is a different story. They are wrapped up in a blanket in my old sea bag in my guest bedroom gun safe.

I intend to clean them both thoroughly when I get home but am I looking at having any issues?
I dont know much about russian ammo, corrosive/non-corrosive, etc.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I went shooting with a Marine buddy of mine about three and a half weeks ago. We shot my Ak and Ar. Upon arriving at home, I had a message on my answering machine that my grandmother's house had burned down in California. We left immediatly to help. I just got back last night and today as I am sitting here at work, have just realized that my rifles have gone that whole time without being cleaned. We shot brown bear through the Ar and Silver bear through the Ak. Im not too worried about the Ak but the Ar is a different story. They are wrapped up in a blanket in my old sea bag in my guest bedroom gun safe.

I intend to clean them both thoroughly when I get home but am I looking at having any issues?
I dont know much about russian ammo, corrosive/non-corrosive, etc.

Thanks for the help.

nothing at all to be worried about.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm sure it will be fine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses.

Glad I only fired a few mags through. Getting all the carbon out when you go for a whole day sucks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 1:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Getting all the carbon out when you go for a whole day sucks.

Soak the inside of the carrier and bore with CLP for a day or so before you battle it.  I don't even clean my rifle the same day anymore.  I squirt CLP into the Carrier exhaust ports and let it soak for at least a day to make it easier to clean.
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Bear/Wolf/Tiger = non corrosive
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
It will take a bit longer to clean than usual, but it won't present any problems.  Some people make too much hay about the requirement to clean ARs immediately after firing.  If you fired hundreds or thousands of rounds, then it would need immediate attention in combat situations.  Otherwise, just clean it thoroughly when you can get to it...and you have higher priority actions to tend to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I was taught to clean the weapon after use,so thats what I do regardless.The old saying "the sun never sets on a dirty weapon" has been the golden rule in my family for many decades.And we all do it religiously.
To offer a good reason for my routine and habitual actions,basically here in Tennessee stuff will either rust or grow mold in a matter of a couple days.So I at least give my weapons a general once over after use,which takes only minutes to do.Cheap insurance in my experience and has yet to fail me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
400 rounds down mine right now.  200 a month ago, 200 today.  Not too worried about it.  Still hits the target where I'm aiming.  Until I can say it's the gun, not me I'll shoot it and avoid cleaning it.  It's a took not a girlfriend, doesn't need to be clean to do the job.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top