Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Tacked FIELD STRIPPING THE AR15 (Page 4 of 4)
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Question, is the firing pin retaining pin just a regular cotter pin? I was wondering if maybe it was made out of a harder steel then regular pins.
I had a bit of trouble getting mine back in and bent it a bit. I did get in but was thinking of getting a replacement(s) for the future.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Great refresher course it been about 13 years since I've done this it was a colt heavy barrel 16 inch  just waiting to pick up new LMT Nov. 10th. after 1300 my 10 day wait
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for posting this
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the post! I just used this to help me take down the bolt group for a complete cleaning. Holy cow, that thing was dirty. Now I need to go shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Very helpful thread. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Being a new member and new to ARs, this thread was very helpful to me. A couple of months ago I bought my first AR. A basic Colt LE6920. Last week I bought A Colt C.A.R. 6940. I really like these rifles. I own several bolt action rifles including a CZ 427 Varmint in .223. I have to admit the ARs are more fun to shoot.

Chance...
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 9:40:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Skip4] [#7]
What about cleaning the gas tube? Does that need to be done, and if so how often? How do I get to it?

Skip
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Skip4:
What about cleaning the gas tube? Does that need to be done, and if so how often? How do I get to it?

Skip
View Quote

Unnecessary.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice info I will need to re read this this Monday when I pick up my complete lower end. I have everything else at the house already.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 4:40:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: miatard] [#10]
Awesome set of photos - thanks for this.

Any reason why you have to ensure that the hammer is cocked? I tend to release mine ASAP to avoid accidentally slamming the lower. Or is this just to make a bit more room for the buffer spring to come out?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By miatard:
Or is this just to make a bit more room for the buffer spring to come out?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 11:45:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Great post very informational. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the effort, made my first takedown simple to do.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:01:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Why does the bolt have to be extended when assembling?  Doesn't it just close (get shorter) when its inserted back into the rifle?

Does the firing pin retainer go above the firing pin?  The answer is yes but I watched a video where the guy was explaining that the pin actually went on each side of the firing pin and that confused me.

The bolt cam on my gun was hard to turn with fingers.  With small pliers it turned easily.  What am I doing wrong?  

After realizing how easy it is to turn that cam, does anyone worry that is can loosen while functioning?  

Do you clean the barrel?  I have a .22 bore snake (that is for .223/5.56) and it was super hard to pull through.  I stopped bc I was afraid of it getting stuck or tearing (probably not possible).

Do you lube the trigger springs and stuff?

After its back together and you cycle it and dry fire are you always sure its GTG?  I am OCD and what If I needed my rifle tonight but I cleaned it today and I assume its GTG?  Basically, if it cycles and resets, can there be anything wrong?  

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By capcapcapcap:
Why does the bolt have to be extended when assembling?  Doesn't it just close (get shorter) when its inserted back into the rifle?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By capcapcapcap:

It places the cam pin in the correct position to ride down the channel into the receiver. The little half moon cutout in the receiver is where the head of the cam pin turns into when the bolt is in the closed and locked position.

Does the firing pin retainer go above the firing pin?  The answer is yes but I watched a video where the guy was explaining that the pin actually went on each side of the firing pin and that confused me.

The pin goes across the firing pin in the little valley at the back of the pin.

The bolt cam on my gun was hard to turn with fingers.  With small pliers it turned easily.  What am I doing wrong?  

Make sure the bolt is all the way in the closed position (pushed into the carrier/shortened position)

After realizing how easy it is to turn that cam, does anyone worry that is can loosen while functioning?

The firing pin goes through the cam pin and prevents the cam pin from rotating.

Do you clean the barrel?  I have a .22 bore snake (that is for .223/5.56) and it was super hard to pull through.  I stopped bc I was afraid of it getting stuck or tearing (probably not possible).

Yes. I use a .22 rod and jag. Dewey makes a good rod that is the perfect length for 16" barrels. Bore snakes are supposed to be hard to pull through.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#16]

Do you lube the trigger springs and stuff?
View Quote

You can lightly lube them.

After its back together and you cycle it and dry fire are you always sure its GTG?  I am OCD and what If I needed my rifle tonight but I cleaned it today and I assume its GTG?  Basically, if it cycles and resets, can there be anything wrong?  
View Quote

Function check and you are good to go. I usually also check that an empty magazine inserts and falls free easily. Also manually cycle the bolt on an empty magazine to make sure it locks back to check the bolt lock.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#17]
great post for a newb like me..
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 3:02:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Great info for a new AR owner. Been shooting all my life, thanks to sites like this, makes things easy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank You !!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the post! Made it very simple for a new AR owner.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 1:01:13 PM EDT
[#21]
WOW!!! I'm a brand new member to the forum, and just got a Colt AR15 after 20 years since last handling an M16. WHAT A GREAT ARTICLE!!! Thanks for the time and attention to detail on this article!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for taking the time to do this. Extremely helpful.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm an old M14 guy...In 68 they took my M14 and handed me an M16. I never fired it! I Fortunately, they gave me a couple of .50s for the door and window! I picked up my first AR today and even though the ammo is "tiny", this is HUGE! I have no need to tear it down, but knowing this is here is perfect. The pictures are also perfect. So many times  you get pictures that you look at and say..."what the heck is that?" As a matter of fact, I think, in the spirit of MCRD Parris Island, 1967...I'll tear it down cause I can! Thanks, Y'all!
RE
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#24]
As someone who just purchased their very first AR, this is AMAZING! I have to be honest, I'm really intimidated by the gun. It's one thing to take it to the range and shoot, but it's another to be able to take it apart and know all of the bits and pieces. This has been a great start. If anyone knows of a good book that dives into the anatomy of the gun a bit more, that would be great. Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 9:14:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AsymmetricShooter] [#25]
Here's a very thorough, well done, clearly explained field stripping video with High Def image and sound. I found it very helpful.

AR Field Stripping Video
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 5:09:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Just used this sticky to clean my Colt 6920 for the first time. Hate to admit it but I had to work really hard to get it back together correctly. I am sure it should have been simpler, I am just the least mechanically inclined person I know. Took way too long, but I really enjoy learning! Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for posting this.  I don't like videos, so this explanation with images is perfect.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:35:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Simple to the point visual for this newbie. THANK YOU!
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#29]
good stuff, really helps
Link Posted: 7/22/2019 9:27:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: my1stglock] [#30]
Been building for over 4 years and I still refer to this post every now and then. One of the BEST sticky postings
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a new AR15, and I’m attempting to separate the upper from the lower by pushing the takedown pins, but the takedown pins won’t budge. Is there a recommended way to get the pins loosened? Should I pry them with a screwdriver from the other side? I’d rather not scratch the finish just yet. Maybe use a punch and tap lightly with a hammer? I’m’ a newbie.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Pipper1979:
I have a new AR15, and I’m attempting to separate the upper from the lower by pushing the takedown pins, but the takedown pins won’t budge. Is there a recommended way to get the pins loosened? Should I pry them with a screwdriver from the other side? I’d rather not scratch the finish just yet. Maybe use a punch and tap lightly with a hammer? I’m’ a newbie.
View Quote

New ones can be a little stiff. Tap it out.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a newbie question.

I just bought a new AR15.  It came fully-assembled from factory. (Didn't build my own.  "Beginner", not "dumb".)
A friend of mine says these newly assembled AR's ship from factory with a thick factory-goo, which is good for protecting the metal & mechanisms regardless if it shipped to Alaska or Sahara/Kuwait --> that this goo should be CLEANED OFF and lubed before the first range outing.
He even said "that's the same you should do to a pistol".  
Well, I don't remember ever doing that to my Glock pistol 2yrs before his comment.  I took the Glock brand new to the range.  Only cleaned & lubed after putting 400~500 rounds through it.

So my question (coming back to the new AR):
- Are factory-new AR's shipped with factory-lube, or with factory-goo?
- Is this initial factory-applied stuff suppose to be cleaned off and re-lubed before putting rounds through it?
- Can I clean off the factory-goo using spray can of brake cleaner?  Or is that too harsh for firearms and will somehow damage mechanisms or coating?
- What are folks' thoughts on using synthetic engine oil (0W-20) as a lube for the AR, or for any firearm?  I mean, if it's good for >800 F lubing/cooling turbo charger internals, it ought to work for firearms, right?

Thank you!

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 3:56:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#35]
removed
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#36]
My Drill Sgt. couldn't have done this any better. Thx for refreshing an old soldiers mind! Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 12:21:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Beautiful Helpful Post!!  Thanks!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 12:23:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By CNL390:
After 3 1/2 years on this forum this post has given me the information & mostly the the "How To" in a series of very clear, easy to understand photos to disassemble clean and reassemble my bolt carrier group.  This to me is the best thing since sliced bread.  Now all I need is something this simple on lubing an AR.
View Quote

Same here!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Tacked FIELD STRIPPING THE AR15 (Page 4 of 4)
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top