Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2009 2:23:10 PM EDT
How many use a gun cradle to support your rifle while cleaning? I'm tossing around the idea of buying one and wanted a general consensus as to whether it's a practical buy or a waste of money. Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one of these: MTM Gunsmith Maintenance Center

It's certainly no vise but it's good for securing the weapon and keeping solvents and oils and dirty patches from mucking up your work surface.
The cupholders do a good job of keeping your bottles from getting knocked over too.
I don't store stuff in mine, I use it more like a slop trough.

They're pretty cheap. I think I paid $30 for mine.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 6:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It's certainly no vise but it's good for securing the weapon and keeping solvents and oils and dirty patches from mucking up your work surface.
The cupholders do a good job of keeping your bottles from getting knocked over too.

I use the MTM Portable Maintenance Center Shown in the Pick below Colonel Hurtz's Gunsmith Maintenance Center.  I have had one for 15 years and just recently bought a second one.  I have cleaned every type of rifle conceivable in this cradle.  Cost $28 on Mid South Shooting Supply-The Utility of this Cradle is Priceless.  Take it to the range and run patches with Clp or Slip 2000 after a shooting session..  Leave oil in th bore on the last patch and let it sit overnight.  You will be amazed at how much easier it is to clean the bore at a later date.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 8:18:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

+1 and it's cheap, does a great job and quite modular

Link Posted: 8/16/2009 6:46:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the MTM (got from a friend) , a wood clamping gun vise and a rifle holder that uses the mag well on an AR.
For bolt guns still use the wood clamping vise, however, for cleaning AR uppers us the MTM mount has taken over.
The the unit that holds on the mag well, is only used when cleaning three or more at a time (i.e. after a big shoot) and mostly to let the barrel drain at an angle down (mostly for HKs)..

Link Posted: 8/16/2009 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think this particular one is made anymore, but I have an old Action Products cleaning box. This is a fairly large molded plastic box that holds all the cleaning supplies, and when you open the lid there's a folding cradle inside.

MTM and Tipton both make boxes that are somewhat similar in design, but not exactly the same.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
AR specific cleaning and maintenance stand

http://midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=259155

I know the guy that makes these
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:32:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is he in Houston and can I get one direct

Link Posted: 8/19/2009 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a $30-$40 cradle/storage box at Walmart and it works great. It has a drawer to store your cleaning supplies and a toolbox looking top with a tray and internal storage. There are also 2 wooden cradles stored in there that you can set up to hold your rifle. For the price and quality it's great and I have no complaints.

~Zach
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

ummmmmmmmm its me  I'm in Htown. drop me an IM

Link Posted: 8/19/2009 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ummmmmmmmm its me  I'm in Htown. drop me an IM

Add a nudge, nudge to your wink, wink.

Link Posted: 8/23/2009 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I use an aluminum cradle I bought from Sinclair. Sturdy, portable, does the job.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/5263/Gun-Cleaning-Cradles
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top