Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/16/2009 6:14:29 PM EDT
Is it OK for there to be a bit of dirty residue on the gas tube near the gas port? I just cleaned my AR rifle and found a slight build-up at the gas tube connection at the gas block. Also, unrelated, how many rounds in a certian period of time is damaging to the rifle barrel? Firing 20 rounds in a two minute period really heats things up,  but does it hurt anything? What about a forty round mag in a two minute period? Just wondering what you more experienced shooters thought.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it OK for there to be a bit of dirty residue on the gas tube near the gas port? I just cleaned my AR rifle and found a slight build-up at the gas tube connection at the gas block. Also, unrelated, how many rounds in a certian period of time is damaging to the rifle barrel? Firing 20 rounds in a two minute period really heats things up,  but does it hurt anything? What about a forty round mag in a two minute period? Just wondering what you more experienced shooters thought.

Thanks

What make rifle and barrel do you have?

If it's chrome lined, you can fire way faster than that wiithout hurting anything.  A Colt 6920 uses the same barrel as the military M4, and they fire those full auto without problems.  With a stainless steel barrel I would more hesitant to dump mags through.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Regular 20" C/M barrel, 1 in 9 twist. Thanks for the info.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top