Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2009 7:50:31 PM EDT
I have a match rifle lower that has probably 7000 rounds plus dry firing on it.  I also have an upper with 4100 rounds on it and another with 3000 or so.

This rifle is meticulously maintained but run hard with high pressure loads typical of  Highpower shooting.

During some winter maintenance, I was wondering if there are any parts that need to be changed (besides at least one barrel)?

I'm wondering about recoil spring and  trigger springs mainly.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Replace parts when they fail the checks in the TM.

BSW
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, you can find TM's to download on the internet.  They have specs and tests to determine if parts are worn or need to be replaced.

If you really have the itch to do some preventative maintenance, you can try to find some of the refresh kits or spring kits.

I'd think field head space gauge would be good to add to the tool box and check the head space is safe.
A new firing pin can't hurt, if the old one passes the TM checks, you can keep it as a back-up spare.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 2:50:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 2:52:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.  I wasn't aware of the "TM".  I'll search for it.

I don't want to replace anything that doesn't need to be replaced.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I wasn't aware of the "TM".  I'll search for it.

I don't want to replace anything that doesn't need to be replaced.

Several TMs (Tech Manuals) are stickyed at the top of the maintenance forum. No searching required. BSW
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top