Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2008 6:56:19 PM EDT
When I clean my bore the upper is upside down, i.e. the sights are pointing down.  This means that the gas port is now on the bottom--could it be acting as a drain for bore cleaner/ poo-poo from the bore?   I've always done it this way, never noticed any crud being blowin into the gas key or through it and into the bolt carrier.

Am I (1) legitimately concerned or (2) engaging in Arfcommer's favorite pastime--worrying about nothing?
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:00:58 PM EDT
[#1]
(2) engaging in Arfcommer's favorite pastime--worrying about nothing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
(2) engaging in Arfcommer's favorite pastime--worrying about nothing.

^ THIS ^
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 3:02:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2008 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Ever seen that green goo that sometimes forms on the inside of your FH? That’s copper residue reacting with residual bore solvent from cleaning. I like to think I’m preventing that from forming in my rifles gas system.

I have only ever used CLP brake break-free in my LE6920 since it was new, but it still gets the green copper residue in the FH.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ever seen that green goo that sometimes forms on the inside of your FH? That’s copper residue reacting with residual bore solvent from cleaning. I like to think I’m preventing that from forming in my rifles gas system.

I have only ever used CLP brake break-free in my LE6920 since it was new, but it still gets the green copper residue in the FH.

the green goo is copper oxide, vaporized copper from the bullet is condensed there, and, over time, it oxidizes, some solvents may speed this up
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top