Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/27/2008 4:06:01 PM EDT
anyone have any experience with the otis cqb military issue cleaning kits? how are they?
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#1]
?
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I use only use Otis to clean all of my rifle barrels, I do not have any experience with the military version, but I think the only difference is that it has a black coating to prevent reflecting in the sun and being noticed.  Using the Otis method is an excellent way to ensure that the barrel is only cleaned from breech to muzzle, to obtain 360 degree coverage, and to ensure that there is no unwanted metal contact with the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got one.  I am having trouble pulling the patches through the barrel.  Otis has small caliber patches, I even use thoes and it's not working for me.  I have to hook one end of the cord throught a vice, grab onto my barrel with both hands and pull real hard to get it to come through.  I tried puting a tighter pinch on the patch, it seems like the metal piece is scraping the inside of my barrel when I do that.  I have the military version, the one with the black attachments.  I can see scratches on the black pieces where it looks like it rubbed the inside of my barrel.  Anyone have any advice?
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 3:21:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I just got one.  I am having trouble pulling the patches through the barrel.  Otis has small caliber patches, I even use thoes and it's not working for me.  I have to hook one end of the cord throught a vice, grab onto my barrel with both hands and pull real hard to get it to come through.  I tried puting a tighter pinch on the patch, it seems like the metal piece is scraping the inside of my barrel when I do that.  I have the military version, the one with the black attachments.  I can see scratches on the black pieces where it looks like it rubbed the inside of my barrel.  Anyone have any advice?

Do your patches a little differently.  Pinch them in different spots until you can get them to fit snugly, but not insanely tight, through the barrel.

I almost have better luck getting the big patches through than the small ones.  I find it easier to adust the size of the big ones.
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 3:25:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are you folding the patches the way they say too?
Link Posted: 8/22/2008 5:37:46 PM EDT
[#6]
yep, I have been using their systems for a while on other guns.  It seems like when I use a super tight pinch/pull through, I feels like metal on metal beacsue the small patches.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Attach the obstruction remover to the end of the cable you pull from, then after you feed it out the muzzle end, there is a thin rod that fits thru the hole in the obstruction remover that acts as a handle to pull the patch thru easier.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
yep, I have been using their systems for a while on other guns.  It seems like when I use a super tight pinch/pull through, I feels like metal on metal beacsue the small patches.

Just use the big patches and follow the directions for using them with a .22.  They'll just be longer if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like the Otis kits for their portability. I always have one in my range box or backpack.

stumo
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 8:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just use the big patches and follow the directions for using them with a .22.  They'll just be longer if that makes sense.

Yeah, I know. Quoting myself... but....

If you are afraid of being like a couple posters and getting a patch stuck in the bore, you can use a normal patch and put it in the eyelet like any other.  It won't be as tight fitting unless you size the patch carefully and find one that's perfect, but you won't have the problem of getting it stuck, and you'll get whatever advantages there might be from it only going from breech to muzzle.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the the otis tactical cleaning kit, I ove it I use it on everything form 22's to shotguns, it works great for me.

the military issued ones or ok.. the bore brushes are very tight. hard to pull but other than that they work good...
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top