Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2007 8:11:59 AM EDT
I've got about 75 rounds through my new Stag upper.  I clean the barrel with Hoppes basic solvent and after a few dry patches I run Remington 40x bore cleaner (which says it removes copper).  This 40x stuff is SO murky colored that I can't tell if its removing anything since a dirty patch and a "clean" patch look the same.  Also, I've never seen any hint of blue whatsoever.  Do I not have enough rounds through it to notice the copper or did I waste my money on the 40x?
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, everyone knows what I'm about to suggest.......try some Break-Free Foam Bore Cleaner.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#2]
40X bore cleaner  removes thru mechincal action you will never see any blue with this stuff.

It work great for lead build up in shotgun bores.

I do not suggest you use a mechincal cleaner for regular maintance.

Your regular hoppes no. 9 will remove copper it just needs time to recat with the copper. about over night.

the break free foaming cleaner suggestion works.
I use gunslick brand.

Leave the 40x for real bad build up not every range use. Used wrong/ over use it will cause more harm to your bore than good
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 5:41:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the information.  QUIB, I've read your many replies on the foaming bore cleaner so I've considered it many times.  How many applications do you get out of that little bottle?  Of course the ease of use is a huge plus.  What about the Hoppes Benchrest Copper Solution?  I've considered letting regular Hoppes sit overnight, but due to my ADHD I have a feeling I'd forget about it and remember 3 or 4 days later when I'm messing around in the garage.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t have an exact amount, but don’t let the small size of the can fool ya‘. Never tried the Hoppes Benchrest.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Hoppes Benchrest is good stuff. Not as harsh as Sweets. I have let it set over 2 days without any problems. If you have any copper build up, you will see it after an overnight with Hoppes BR.

When I do deep cleaning on my rifles I usualy do the overnight with Hoppes BR for 2 or more nights. Scrub them with regular solvent, get em as clean as I can, let them soak overnight with BR, clean em, let soak again, repeat for 3 nights.

Of course, my normal AR cleaning is to run a boresnake through them at the range and forget about them.

Gringop
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont use a BRUSH / copper solvent on my bore until  3000/5000 rds fired or BAD ACCURACY
just patches and CLP

I use a chromelined only
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I use Hoppes or Shooters bore cleaner 2 times a year.  Hoppes Elite most of the time.  Elete won't do as good a job on copper but keeps the bore clean otherwise.  Twice a year with a good copper cleaner is fine and won't wear the bore.  I almost never use a wire brush.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I use Hoppes or Shooters bore cleaner 2 times a year.  Hoppes Elite most of the time.  Elete won't do as good a job on copper but keeps the bore clean otherwise.  Twice a year with a good copper cleaner is fine and won't wear the bore.  I almost never use a wire brush.

I hear ya

I have no IDEA why the guys use wire bore brush every time they shoot

Ive done this all my life with ZERO problems

Im TALKING CHROME LINED BARRELS ONLY
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#9]
If I'm using lead booolets in a hand gun I'll use a brush after I've allowed Hoppes to sit for an hour.  Then cloth.  I also use Bore Polish once or twice a year for that.  In rifle, after heavy full auto firing I use a brush once or twice after allowing Hoppes to sit for an hour.  Then a cloth soaked with bore cleaner until it comes out win no blue.  Then I ad it I use Militec and finally a single swab with EEZOX.  Hasn't failed me yet.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#10]
We use bore brush for the same reason we use dental floss, tooth brush, and mouth wash when we clean our teeth.

Yeah mouth wash will kill all the germs, but brushing and flossing will get all the crap out.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
We use bore brush for the same reason we use dental floss, tooth brush, and mouth wash when we clean our teeth.

Yeah mouth wash will kill all the germs, but brushing and flossing will get all the crap out.

No need with IMPLANTS
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Very good analogy!  
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Bore Tech Eliminator
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Another great copper solvent is Pro Shot Copper Solvent IV.  Cheap and very effective.  It also is VERY effective on carbon.  Saturate the bolt/carrier in it, let it sit for 30 minutes, then rinse in an ultrasonic water bath.  Dry off and wipe down with CLP.  No scrubbing necessary!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#15]
To remove copper I have been using 50 BMG from Montana X-Treme.  It is a little expensive but I use it on my bolt guns as well as my semi's with great results.  I run a couple of wet patches dwon the barrel.  Let it sit about two miniutes then run a Isso eliminator nylon brush down to lossen everything up.  A couple of dry patches and finish up with a lightly coated patch of CLP all ran thru with a nickel plated jag.  Remember that copper removers cannot tell the diffrence between copper fouling in your barrel and copper or bronze cleaning tools.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Use Hoppe's #9 (not benchrest) and give it time to work. It is much slower than others but will not harm anything. Soaking for days, weeks or months will not hurt anything. Some even use it for storage and it is much easier to remove before shooting than oil.

I bought a used .308 with a barrel fouled with copper and wanted it for shooting cast bullets so I needed to get all the copper out. Twice a day I used Hoppe's #9 and just let it soak( no brushes) It took a while but it worked great. Sometimes I went for days without  even going into my cleaning room but when I did, I just pushed a clean patch through and then a wet patch and let it soak again.

Doing this will not harm a Chrome bore as some of the Copper Removers will.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top