Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2007 10:29:40 PM EDT
Am I the only one that figured out to use a cordless drill with a cleaning rod in the chuck ?  It helps cut cleaning time by 80%.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#1]

You sure you aren't doing any damage in there? What kind of brush are you using?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Am I the only one that figured out to use a cordless drill with a cleaning rod in the chuck ?  It helps cut cleaning time by 80%.

Your not the only one...
Brownells - DRILL CHUCKABLE SHOTGUN CLEANING ROD

I think I will stick to the told fashion way. I actually like cleaning my guns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
the drill spinning passes the bristles OVER the lands.
you need to use a saws-all ,it will move the blade in and out ALONG the lands.

just kidding
seriously

don't do this at home
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 2:01:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Keep us informed. Let us know how nice your groups open up over time.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 2:54:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a drill on smooth bore shot guns after a match where a lot of slugs have gone down range. Besides using a heavy metal (not the safest) nothing is faster. I would never use a power drill on a pistol or rifle.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 3:56:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Ehh...I had sort of a fingernails-on-the-chalkboard moment when I read that. I could see maybe cleaning out the chamber and lugs with that method, but I wouldn't do that to the bore of my rifles.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 4:15:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Shotgun barrels are smooth.  Rifle barrels have lands.

I have seen for myself a Colt M16A2 barrel that was eroded so bad from a well meaning Marine using the same method that he had to pay for the unauthorized damage done.  He had it clean alright, right past the chrome and into the barrel steel.
Incident happened in Lima Co, 6th Marines, 2nd MARDIV.  Rifle was elevated to 2ndFSSG for rebarrel after being coded out and the Marine recieved a statement of charges for the cost of the new barrel as well as a Art 15.

Yea, just keep right on grinding your bore with that drill
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Porcher,

If your looking to cut down cleaning time and effort, look into purchasing a can of Break-Free Bore Cleaning Foam.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:18:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Porcher,

If your looking to cut down cleaning time and effort, look into purchasing a can of Break-Free Bore Cleaning Foam.  

img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Metroliner/BFBCF.jpg

+1 For "The Good Stuff"

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you clean your AR barrels with cordless drill, you are the only one that figured this out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Is there such a thing as .223 bird shot?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 8:59:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey Quib,

We need that Army comic strip telling people not to use power tools to clean their AR's...
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:23:03 AM EDT
[#13]
How bad would it be if you used a nylong brush and not a bronze one with a drill?

I'm not going to try this, I'm just curious.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I use a nylon brush and have had no damage to the weapon.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#15]
you will.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hey Quib,

We need that Army comic strip telling people not to use power tools to clean their AR's...

Ask, and you shall receive! Well, that is, if I have a related cartoon!  

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Get some Flitz metal polish and take the nasty rough parkerizing off the barrel while your at it.  Make it smooth inside and out.

I use to wonder why the comic magazine was even made, but things like this continue to prove that it is needed.

All I can add is:
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:01:16 PM EDT
[#18]
use the drill till the grooves in the barrel are gone. It reduces the friction and turns the bullet into a hypervelocity round
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#19]
The point has been made that using a drill is not a good idea.  You can disagree, but please do so in a respectful manner.  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top