Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/30/2007 8:06:51 PM EDT
There was a thread 2-3 weeks ago in which Quib recommended Breakfree Foam Bore Cleaner.

Based on his recommendation, I finally got to Sportsman Warehouse, and picked up a couple of cans.  Used it for the first time today, and the results were very impressive.

With just one bore full, I got a large bright blue spot of copper residue on a paper towel at the muzzle.  This is not only the best copper remover I've used to date, but also the easiest to use.  Just shoot the bore full, wait 15 minutes, and the copper is GONE!

I followed with a bore brush, then a few dry patches.  Being curious I shot the bore full again to see if there was any copper left in the bore.  There wasn't, so the first "load" virtually got it all.

So, a big THANK YOU to Quib for the recommendation!     My cleaning time has now been significantly reduced, and with better results too.  Doesn't get better than that for me!
Link Posted: 6/30/2007 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I tried it this week too. Works great. Although that oxidized copper smells bad.
Link Posted: 6/30/2007 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff! When it comes out blue it lets me know its working.
Link Posted: 6/30/2007 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Again, glad your happy with the results! I just cleaned two of my AR’s last night using BF products.  

My typical routine for cleaning is first to flush out any residue from the barrel, chamber and locking lugs with BF Powder Blast.

I then spray the FBC into the barrel from the chamber and let it flow out of the FH.

While I let the FBC do it’s job, I’ll work on cleaning other parts of the rifle, usually the lower receiver.

After the recommended wait time, I’ll run an initial patch through the bore. Below you can see how effective the BF FBC is at removing copper deposits.  I’ll follow the first patch with a flushing of BF Powder Blast, then alternating brushing and patching with CLP until the bore is free of firing residue.

With the bore clean, I’ll swab out the chamber with a GI chamber brush wrapped in a large patch. If heavy residue was present I’d first use the chamber brush with CLP and with out the patch.

Since BF FBC fills all the voids of the barrel, the FH and the barrel crown also benefit from the cleaning effects. Here I’m swabbing out the softened carbon from the FH.

A snipped off q-tip end clamped in surgeons forceps helps ensure the locking lug area is clean. The BF FBC and flushing out of the chamber with BF Powder Blast makes this hard-to-clean area a piece of cake.

And my last to final step is the controversial gas tube cleaning! Since my upper receiver sits inverted in my maintenance stand, I get an extra sense of reassurance knowing my gas tube is flushed of any possible residue pushed passed the gas port during the barrel cleaning. A quick 2 second shot of BF Powder Blast is all it takes.

My final step is a lightly CLP soaked patch down the bore for storage. Or a quick pull through with my DIY bore mop lightly soaked in CLP.

There you have it!

Link Posted: 6/30/2007 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Good pics, and tutorial!

Now I need to get some Powder Blast.  

Thanks again for the recommendation!
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 12:34:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Good pics, and tutorial!

Thanks.

Glad to have helped!
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 12:40:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Great pictures!

Can anyone compare this stuff to Wipe-out?

ETA: What cradle is that, QUIB?
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Great pictures!

Can anyone compare this stuff to Wipe-out?

ETA: What cradle is that, QUIB?

MTM Case Guard.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Great stuff. I will be adding this routine to mine. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Great stuff. I will be adding this routine to mine. Thanks again.

Your welcome.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Good pics, and tutorial!

Watch the vapors on that stuff, man does it sure get smelly fast

Works great though!
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#11]
If I ever meet Quib I'm going to buy him a good bottle of German bier.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 10:46:41 PM EDT
[#12]
taggity

have you used gunslick's foaming bore cleaner?
thats what I've been using, I didn't realise breakfree had one...
I'll have to give that and the powder blast a try
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 11:18:52 PM EDT
[#13]
quib (and anyone else who is interested):
If you haven't tried this yet, I'd recommend it:
go to the dollar store, and look for a 5-pack of toothbrushes.  they work great for getting in the hard to reach places.  not just in the reciever, but it even fits in the chamber, bcg, etc.  the great part about these is that they are made so cheaply that the plastic handles bend so they can get into the harder to reach places.  the heads are pretty narrow, narrow enough to fit into the chamber.  always made my cleaning jobs go much quicker.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
quib (and anyone else who is interested):
If you haven't tried this yet, I'd recommend it:
go to the dollar store, and look for a 5-pack of toothbrushes.

Been using the GI weapons cleaning version for years........both nylon and bronze versions.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2007 5:33:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If I ever meet Quib I'm going to buy him a good bottle of German bier.

We could enjoy a good Weizen or two, or three, and swap some Cold War stories.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#16]
 I have been a fan of Breakfree for many years. I was first introduced to it in the mid 80's. while in the ARMY . I have tried other oils and CLP's but always came back to BreakfreeCLP. I read this post and now went out and bought some Foaming bore cleaner and some power Blaster. Thaks for the recommendation. Does the power Blaster hurt plastic at all ??? Just wondering about the overspray and me missing the mark.... Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 1:14:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 I have been a fan of Breakfree for many years. I was first introduced to it in the mid 80's. while in the ARMY . I have tried other oils and CLP's but always came back to BreakfreeCLP.

Same situation here. And stated practically word for word as I stated in a recent thread.

Quoted:
I read this post and now went out and bought some Foaming bore cleaner and some power Blaster. Thaks for the recommendation. Does the power Blaster hurt plastic at all ??? Just wondering about the overspray and me missing the mark.... Cheers WarDawg

I have had no problems with over-spray on the plastics on my AR's, but you might want to test out a small inconspicuous spot on your rifle. I tried a small spot on the inside of my XD9’s grip and saw no reaction to the plastic.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought the directions said to not use on gas operated systems?
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 1:47:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I thought the directions said to not use on gas operated systems?

That’s the Outers Brand FBC, not BF. In past threads I’ve stated that I contacted BF about their FBC and it’s use on the AR15/M16. They said it’s fine to use with no concerns regarding the gas system.

ETA: Link

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=331678
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it safe to use with chrome lined bores and chambers? I have been told by several people that you aren't suppose to use certain types of bore cleaners with chromed bores.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Is it safe to use with chrome lined bores and chambers? I have been told by several people that you aren't suppose to use certain types of bore cleaners with chromed bores.

Perfectly fine. Why would it not be safe?

ETA: If your concerned, follow the link I posted below and email Break-Free with your concerns. They’re good at getting back to you.

Break-Free

Link Posted: 7/19/2007 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Great information.  Excellent communication. I'll be sure to follow Quib's post. One question Quib: Have you ever used Gun Scrubber by Birchwood/Casey?  I have a few cans of it and use it on my shootguns but never had the Buckeye's (nuts) to spray down my AR using Powder Blast or Gun Scrubber type products.
Link Posted: 7/19/2007 8:10:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Great information.  Excellent communication. I'll be sure to follow Quib's post. One question Quib: Have you ever used Gun Scrubber by Birchwood/Casey?  I have a few cans of it and use it on my shootguns but never had the Buckeye's (nuts) to spray down my AR using Powder Blast or Gun Scrubber type products.

No, I’ve never used Gun Scrubber. But, personally, I think BF Powder Blast is pretty tame but yet effective. I have no reservations about using it on my AR’s.
Link Posted: 7/19/2007 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone know why the outters cant be used in a gas system?  I have used it on mine without any issues that im aware of.
Link Posted: 7/20/2007 4:33:34 AM EDT
[#25]
tag
I would like to know why the outer's brand isn't safe to use on my AR as well.  That's all wal-mart has here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2007 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#26]
QUIB:
I would really like to see the pictures for your previous post... all dead images
if it's too much work to re-host them, don't worry about it.

also:  how many rifles does one of the small (3oz cans) do?  I'm thinking about trying it, and wondering how much I should get.
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I just bought some today at Cheaper than Dirt.
That stuff made the barrel on my 20k carbine look brand new again. (except for the throat erosion near the chamber)

I will be buying more of this stuff!
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I love the way Break Free removes copper, but my Ar started having failure to ejects and feed after using it. It acted like the gas tube was "gummed up" for about 5 or 6 shots.  How do you avoid this?  Also I thought it said on the can that BF FBC was not safe to use on aluminum. Is this a concern with the reciever, or is that exagerated, not applicable to anadized aluminum?
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#29]
shoot some non-chlorinated brake cleaner down the tube to flush it out.

I don't know about how it reacts to the aluminum.
Link Posted: 7/23/2007 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I love the way Break Free removes copper, but my Ar started having failure to ejects and feed after using it. It acted like the gas tube was "gummed up" for about 5 or 6 shots.  How do you avoid this?  Also I thought it said on the can that BF FBC was not safe to use on aluminum. Is this a concern with the reciever, or is that exagerated, not applicable to anadized aluminum?

it does say on the can not to use it with direct impingement type firearms.  Guess this is the problem.

I'd shoot a little gun cleaner down the gas tube to flush out residue.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quib, none of your CupidFish pics are working.  All I see is the orange box.
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#32]
If I get the time I may re-host them. When I see a threads interest start to fizzle, I’ll often times delete the pics to keep my hosted photos to a minimum.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it does say on the can not to use it with direct impingement type firearms.  Guess this is the problem.

I'd shoot a little gun cleaner down the gas tube to flush out residue.

BF FBC does not state that on the can. Outers brand foaming bore cleaner does.

ETA: Regardless of the type of solvent used, flushing the gas tube with brake cleaner or BF Powder Blast has always been a part of my cleaning routine.

I emailed BF with my concerns over using the FBC in the AR15/M16. I was told it is perfectly safe to use.
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks Quib
Great tips  -  I,too, would like to see the pics if possible.
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Do you guys know how many uses you'll get out of a can that small?

I was at sportsmans warehouse tonight and they had the small can of the stuff, but next to it they had some much larger cans from competitors for not much more...
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 8:46:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Skids are for kids.

Great stuff Quib.  Thanks.

Mark.
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Thanks Quib
Great tips  -  I,too, would like to see the pics if possible.

I re-hosted a few here:www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=343138
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 9:52:20 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Do you guys know how many uses you'll get out of a can that small?

I was at sportsmans warehouse tonight and they had the small can of the stuff, but next to it they had some much larger cans from competitors for not much more...

I’m still on my original can and I lost count on the number of times I’ve used it. Don’t let the small size fool you. I too was hesitant at first to try the BF FBC. One reason was the diminutive size of the can. But even though the can is small compared to other FBC’s you’d be surprised at how long a can lasts. To fill a 16” barrel literally takes about 3 seconds.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#39]
The first time I heard about this stuff was a couple of weeks ago.  A couple of friends and I were heading to the Harrisburg gun show and one of our friends who is a gunsmith started talking about this stuff and asking us if we were using it.  It sounded intriguing.  He highly recommended it.
I'll have to try it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll have to look for this stuff.

Thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I hate to rain on this parade, but I've tried the BFFBC, let it soak, ran some dry patches through the bore, then applied a patch wet with Hoppe's Copper Solvent. I got a bunch more stuff out with the Hoppe's. This is a stainless barrel, so that my be the difference, but I'm really not impressed thus far.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I hate to rain on this parade, but I've tried the BFFBC, let it soak, ran some dry patches through the bore, then applied a patch wet with Hoppe's Copper Solvent. I got a bunch more stuff out with the Hoppe's. This is a stainless barrel, so that my be the difference, but I'm really not impressed thus far.

Well that's too bad.

No one said one application would remove every single trace of copper present in the barrel.  Other bore cleaners such has Hoppes #9 require multiple applications as well.

I personally like the BF FBC because:

- Ease of application.
- Copper removing results.
- The foams ability to fill the entire barrel from the barrel locking lugs to the flash hider.
- The foam does not pool to the bottom barrel from gravity but remains in full contact with the barrel during the recommended wait time.

Below is a pic of the first patch ran through a barrel after a single application of BF FBC. I personally have never obtained this type of result with Hoppes or any other copper solvent.

Link Posted: 9/26/2007 10:27:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I still need to try it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I've been wondering about this stuff since I saw it at Adventure Outdoors. This is great info. I've used it and the bore on my AR looks great. Thanks for this thread.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I used it in my PS90 and it removed a lot of copper even though I only shot 800 rd through the bore.

The only barrel that didn't seem to have any copper residue after 3000+ rd was the Glock factory barrel. The polygonal bore seems impervious to copper fouling but it does attract quite a bit of hardened carbon/metal fouling that BF FBC cannot penetrate.

Most copper solvents contain ammonia or smell really bad. The BF FBC is almost odorless and works very quickly to clean out the lugs, chamber, bore, and flash hider. You could do maybe 2-3 applications of FBC through each bore and it still wouldn't take too much of your time.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#47]
BF FBC is quick, easy and works like a champ!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top