Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2006 6:42:00 PM EDT
Hello all- I am still trying to decide which rifle to buy.  If you could answer some questions it would really help.

1. Does carbon still get into the receiver of piston weapons like the AR180 and LW rifles?  I mean, does the carbon blowback from the chamber coat the inside of the receiver?  

2. How much dirtier is the inside of the receiver of an AR15 than the inside of a piston weapon after a similiar number of rounds?  I am referring specifically to the inside of the receiver and not the bolt carrier or bolt.

3. When people do experience "jams" with their AR15s, is it more commonly due to the gas system or the tight tolerances? (when not ammo/mag related)

I know these are probably weird questions, but they are important to me so I figured Id ask anyway.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 3:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Only jam I ever had 2 jams with an ar due to a dead primer and a bad Bushmaster carrier key stake job.
If you buy a carp ar your odds of having problems are high.
I dont see the gas system as a draw back on the rifle.

I ran about 1,000 rounds without cleaning or lube (tw25b used) praticing for USPSA rifle matches without ever having a glitch.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:14:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The Gas AR system is not a bad thing.. Keep it clean, lightly lubed a feed it with good mags. Always number your mags to spot the trouble makers. replace as needed.
and you'll be a happy camper... Happy shooting
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top