What have you guys used?

Which brand?  (stock number?)

How simple to use?

How effective?

Link Posted: 8/2/2006 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I use standard bore solvent...

Hoppes #9 or Butch's Bore Shine

I've heard that the foam stuff can get kind of messy but it's not bad.
Link Posted: 8/2/2006 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
quite messy, but does a hell of a job. i use it only when i have to

AR out
Link Posted: 8/2/2006 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I use Butch's bore shine. It works well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2006 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Do the foams REALLY remove copper ?
Link Posted: 8/2/2006 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Yes they do. I found you need to apply the foam several times to get 100% of the copper out. I reapply the foam(Wipe Out or Outers foam/forrest foam) every 15 minutes for 1 hour so 4 or 5 times till the foam stops turning blue and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they do. I found you need to apply the foam several times to get 100% of the copper out. I reapply the foam(Wipe Out or Outers foam/forrest foam) every 15 minutes for 1 hour so 4 or 5 times till the foam stops turning blue and you are good to go.

Do you use the Wipe Out before your general bore solvent like MPro-7?
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 8:44:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the Outers foaming bore cleaner on my M1 and M1A. It really goes to town on the M1, especially after shooting corrosive Korean surplus. Like SkagSig40 says, you may need to apply it a few times. I shoot it down the bore until it appears at the end, then every 30min I shoot some more until the black (carbon) and blue color (copper) is gone. Then a dry patch and an oil patch and it's done. Great stuff.
ETA: I don't use it in my AR's since it's under pressure and will migrate through the gas hole and into the tube. I suppose one can flush it out with brake cleaner or the like, but that would just add steps to what should be a simple process.
Link Posted: 8/4/2006 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you use the Wipe Out before your general bore solvent like MPro-7?

Sometimes. If I'm short on time I'll use the foam 1st so it starts working and come back later. If I have time I use a cleaner caller Slip 2000 725 which is like M-pro7 but much safer on wood finishes and more aggressive on fouling. I use that to get the carbon out and the foam to get the copper/lead out. Mill-Comm MC-25 is another cleaner like M-pro7 but even better.
Link Posted: 8/4/2006 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I read somewhere the other day you can take a piece of vinyl tubing 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD (those sizes are sbuject to verification!) and hook it on the nozzle of the Wipe Out can. With your barrel pointing down a little you then stick the end of the tube into your chamber, jam it in and squirt.

I just ordered some of the stuff and am going to give it a try. I need another addition to the collection of solvents that let me scrub my barrel for as long as I shoot at the range.
Link Posted: 8/4/2006 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been using Gunslick cleaners lately.  I start with the small pump spray of carbon/lead cleaner, on patches and an old brush.  After finishing with that, every other range day, I use Shooters choice liquid copper cleaner.  If the patch is really blue, I run a few patches of that, then use "Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner".  It has a thick flexible tube that allows me to jam it into the chamber and spray till it comes out the muzzle.  I let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes, as I clean the lower.  The first patch I run through after will usually push out blue foam.  I then go back to Shooters Choice Copper cleaner and a patch or two of that is all that is needed.  Then a few dry patches, followed by a patch or two of Dulite Quickseal (lube) and I am done.

Where I shoot, it almost always gets windy in the afternoons and I find that bottles of cleaner get knocked over real easy.  There's nothing like loosing half a bottle of Hoppes Benchrest all over the back table.  So I have gravitated to drip bottles, spray bottles and arisols.  I don't care how good it is, if it is in a big screw top bottle I don't buy it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2006 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I read somewhere the other day you can take a piece of vinyl tubing 1/4" ID x 3/8" OD (those sizes are sbuject to verification!) and hook it on the nozzle of the Wipe Out can. With your barrel pointing down a little you then stick the end of the tube into your chamber, jam it in and squirt.

I just ordered some of the stuff and am going to give it a try. I need another addition to the collection of solvents that let me scrub my barrel for as long as I shoot at the range.

Ok. I got the Wipe Out and Accelerator yesterday. I had cleaned my AR Thursday after returning from the range, so whatever came out was either residual or the stuff that sweats out of the pores after awhile. Ran a patch thru with the Accelerater, per instructions. Some VERY black stuff was on the patch. Shot some Wipe Out down the chamber and put a patch under the muzzle to catch any drips. Waited an hour. A little blue/green was on the patch under the muzzle. Ran a patch thru- black. Repeated 3 more times. On the final run, the last dry patch was clean. Instructions say to not run an oily patch thru afterwards since the product has rust preventers in it.

I'm going to stop by the hardware store and get a piece of 1/4 x 3/8 tubing to use when squirting from the chamber. Actually, the stuff that foams back into the upper is no big deal, it loosened some carbon in the lug area.

You MUST get some canned air to shoot down your gas tube. Foam came out of mine, but didn't seem to be dirty at all. A little puff and it cleared out of the gas block.

I'll hit it again Thursday or Friday and see if anything else comes out like it does when I use Hoppes. If it comes out clean I'll be pretty pleased. Also need an after range, from scratch trial. So far I'd say, I'm pleased.
Link Posted: 8/10/2006 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been using Hoppes Elite Bore Gel.  It seems to get fouling out more easily than the Tetra I was using before but it is more difficult to clean off so it's better left for the bore.  It's also bio-degradable and has little smell.
Link Posted: 8/12/2006 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Cleaned  my AR again today (Sat) with the Wipe Out. Used the Accelerator first and used a piece of 1/4 x 3/8 tubing to clean from the chamber. No mess. Didn't get any discoloration on the Accelerator patch or Wipe Out patch on this second cleaning. Used canned air to clear the gas tube. Pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:52:58 AM EDT
[#15]
About the only bore cleaner I use these days is G96 "Gel Bore Cleaner" (not to be confused with the firms "Bore Cleaner)".  This stuff continues to gel up as it cleans.  While you are using this cleaner with the bore brush.  You will see what appears to be a lumpy film in the bore.  Actually, the Gel Bore Cleaner is continuing to gel up and provide even more cleaning power.  In the bore of my G23, the G96 product cleans the bore immaculately.  Highly recommended and watch out for other water based products.  The water based products can probably be capable of causing rust unless a follow up with a rust preventative is made.  Many people out there don't even know if the current lubricant they are using will stop rust cold.  CARRIERKEY  
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#16]

height=8
Quoted:

Just for entertainment, buy a can of foamy bore cleaner and put a dab on the top of a penny (remember newer pennies are not 100% copper, but do have some % in them). Let it sit for 20 minutes and then wipe the blue colored goo off of it. If you want to be more impressed, use a dirty penny.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top