Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2006 12:13:37 AM EDT
Im headed to the motor shop tomarrow to pick up a bottle of Mobil1 Synthetic Oil to lub my rifle.  While I was there I thought I would give this Brake or Carb Cleaner a try.  I realize that either should be Non-chloronated, but are there any brands that people prefer?  I wonder if they have something useful at walmart?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:15:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:17:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Use non chlorinated brake cleaner have heard rumors that wal mart dosent carry any non chlorinated brake cleaner. Just buy the cheapest brake cleaner at another parts place. You can also use carb cleaner!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:23:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  

What about the oil?  Some synthetics have teflon in them i think.  Does teflon have adverse affect on gun parts?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I wonder if they have something useful at walmart?

Thanks,

No

I buy brake cleaner at Walmar, works fine.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:27:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Use non chlorinated brake cleaner have heard rumors that wal mart dosent carry any non chlorinated brake cleaner. Just buy the cheapest brake cleaner at another parts place. You can also use carb cleaner!!!

SuperTech 2000, WalMart product down here in Texas, is a non-methanol carb cleaner which is best used for rinsing your bore cleaner of choice. Whether it's chlorinated or not I'm not sure, but this is the product I have been using for several years to rid my bore of the Sweets 7.62.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:30:39 AM EDT
[#6]
ahh, so then i am confused.  I cannot use the brake/carb cleaner as a one step clean and be done with it?   It is meant to be used in combination with another product?  

Hmmm, I thought the brake/carb cleaner would be all i needed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 12:42:44 AM EDT
[#7]
My comments above refer to my "cleaning" processes of which there are a couple I use.

My field expediate cleaning method generally involves the use of CLP (Break-Free) and a bore snake or an Otis system.

When I clean my rifles for real, I use a bore cleaner (Sweets 7.62), which removes the copper fouling, the SuperTech, (mentioned above), which rinses the Sweets from the bore (as Sweets is a serious bore cleaning product) and CLP as a lubrication for when the shooting is done.

Car motor oil and brake cleaner are not products found in my cleaning routine, YMMV.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#8]
brake/carb cleaner is just a fast drying weapons flush.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:53:05 AM EDT
[#9]
The WalMart carb cleaner works fine, but the only place I use it is to flush out my barrel or the lug recesses, nothing more. Carb cleaner is very harsh and will strip your receivers pores of ALL oils that are present. It is not meant to be used as a lazy mans “one step” barrel cleaning wonder. As mentioned earlier, it’s only one step in a multi step barrel cleaning process.

I’ve heard of Syn Oil such as Mobil 1 being used by some folks as a weapons lube. I would use it too…..in an emergency. Why use automotive lube when there are designated weapons lubes out there. At a minimum buy a can of Brakefree CLP from WalMart. A $3.00 can will last you quite a while.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The WalMart carb cleaner works fine, but the only place I use it is to flush out my barrel or the lug recesses, nothing more. Carb cleaner is very harsh and will strip your receivers pores of ALL oils that are present. It is not meant to be used as a lazy mans “one step” barrel cleaning wonder. As mentioned earlier, it’s only one step in a multi step barrel cleaning process.

I’ve heard of Syn Oil such as Mobil 1 being used by some folks as a weapons lube. I would use it too…..in an emergency. Why use automotive lube when there are designated weapons lubes out there. At a minimum buy a can of Brakefree CLP from WalMart. A $3.00 can will last you quite a while.

There have been a few threads on this recently.

Why buy gun oil when Mobil 1 will do the same thing for $5 a quart?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]
i use the cheapest carb and choke cleaner or brake cleaner i can find
and use wd 40 on my 22 kit
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#12]
My brother uses brake cleaner and not carb cleaner. He says either will work but carb cleaner has a lubricant in it so the carburetors linkages stay moving freely after use, and he doesn't want anything in his barrels after he sprays them out, unless he is going to store it, then he uses a good gun oil. He also says the cheapest  stuff is just fine.
With the supplied tube or straw plugged into the nozzle to spray out the chamber after cleaning it with a M-16 chamber brush. He holds the receiver muzzle down in a jar and squirts short blasts of brake cleaner into the locking lug area so it swirls down the chamber and out the end of the barrel. He also uses it to spray off the cleaning brushes so the solvent doesn't eat them away, they last alot longer and your not putting old dirt back down the barrel.  Occasionally he uses it to spray out the gas tube (sticks the straw right into the gas tube).
**He always wears safety glasses when spraying it it because it hurts like H E Double Hockey Sticks when you get it in your eyes, and if you use it, you will at one time or another get a squirt on you or in the eyes. He says to keep the lid to the jar so to keep the cleaner from stinking up the work area even if it's well ventilated as it should be.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Walmart's "Tech" brand of either carb or brake cleaner. Just gone up to $.92/can. It's a bit milder, seemingly, than the major brands and perfect for guns. Used it for many years with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
... but are there any brands that people prefer?  I wonder if they have something useful at walmart?

Thanks,

NONE.  Not needed.  I don't get this craze.  You would think people were removing 20 years of engine sludge by what I have been reading.  Killing a fly with an atomic bomb.  Yea it works...  But the hassle is now one of keeping this crap off your skin, out of your eyes, out of your lungs...  You have just exchanged one pain in the but for another, and the one you now have could very well affect your health.  I don't get it.

At 'The Great Walmart'?  Toothbrushes.  Pipecleaners for those hard to reach places.  Cheap black teeshirts.  

As for cleaners, been using Gunslick myself.  Works great.  Also Ballistrol, Shooters Choice Copper cleaner and Dulite Quickseal.  Yea, I have fp10, and am unimpressed with it, Dulite is much better, less runny and drys to a film that stays put (and it -shock- removes carbon deposits too even though it is not a carb cleaner).  For grease, RIG and Lubriplate.  My Bushy cleans up real fast, and the Varminter I am building will never see anything as harsh as a carb cleaner.  It's just not needed.  Just my .02

Lois

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top