Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 8:47:29 AM EDT
I have used brake cleaner  and had no problems. I read the posts re: use non-chlorinated brake cleaner only. OK. How can I tell from the label if it is chlorinated or not??? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Believe it or not, the kind I use (Prestone) says "non-chlorinated" right on the label on the front of the can.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds like a pretty dumb question, I had one can that said nothing about chlorinated, I just found another that said on the front non-chlorinated. I guess to be safe I need to buy cans that specify non- chlorinated. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I imagine if it were actually non-chlorinated it would clearly say so somewhere.  For the price, I'd prolly just go buy a can that did say it was non-chlorinated.

I'm sure you could probably go through the ingredients to find out for sure, but for the $1.99???

Gundraw
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
non-chlorinated will say so
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
non-chlorinated will say so

Looked for brake cleaner this weekend myself.  Bought a can that didn't say, then found out they make a non chlorinated formula.  Had to take it back and get a non chlorinated can.

Short story is it will say so.  If not, I would pass.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Chlorinated brake cleaner is non-flammable, or has a much higher flash point... IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:00:59 AM EDT
[#7]
read the can,  if you cant find non chlorintaed on the can then it is not.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:09:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Use a gun cleaning product instead of an automobile product and you won't have to worry about issues like this: www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05037.html, or setting yourself on fire.

Mike

ps - why anyone would use this flammable shit when they didn't have to is beyond me.....

excerpt from link above:

CPSC, Valvoline Announce Recall of Brake Cleaner and Brake Parts Cleaner

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firms below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: Pyroil® Brake Parts Cleaner and NAPA® Brake Cleaner

Units: 2.8 million cans

Manufacturer: The Valvoline Company, a Division of Ashland Inc., of Lexington, Ky.

Hazard: The affected aerosol cans contain a defective spray valve that might stick when depressed, possibly
emptying the can’s flammable contents.

NOTE: for Ch0wd3r comments above.....

Incidents/Injuries: Valvoline has received nine complaints about sticking spray valves. One consumer was injured when the product sprayed into his eye.

Description: The recall involves 13-ounce cans of Pyroil® Non-Chlorinated Brake Parts Cleaner and NAPA® Non-Chlorinated Brake Cleaner. This product is used by professional mechanics as well as “do-it-yourself” consumers who perform brake repairs on their own vehicles. The recalled cans contain one of the following four digits in their date codes, which are found on the bottom of the cans:

Pyroil (Part No. 4003)  NAPA (Part No. 4800)

(see link for addition #s here)

Sold at: Auto parts retail stores nationwide from March 2004 through September 2004 for about $2.

Manufactured in: United States

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled aerosol cans immediately and contact Valvoline for a free replacement.

Consumer Contact: For more information, consumers should call Valvoline at (800) 255-3533 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit their Web site at www.valvoline.com

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:31:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Gun cleaners aren't flammable?!?

Remington Rem Action Cleaner, "Use in well ventillated area, preferably outdoors. Do not use near sources of heat, sparks, or flame. Wear impermeable glove and safety goggles.  Wash hands thoroughly.
Physical hazards. Extremely flammable.  Product can explode or catch fire.  Materials used to apply product will become fallable.  Can may explode if heated above 120F (49C) or punctured."
Plus the dangers of breathing it in.

Tetra cleaner/lube spray. "Do not puncture, incinerate, store in direct sunlight or keep in temperatures above 120F (50C).

Strike Hold "Keep away from heat, sparks and open flame."

Hoppes, flammable.
Hoppes Benchrest copper solvent,  "Contains kerosene." Flamable.
Shooters choice lead remover.  "Keep away from flame."

Almost all oils are flammable too.

MPro-7, Hoppes Elite cleaner, and Slip 2000 might not be flammable, but they seem to be the exceptions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The old Gun Scrubber formula with trichloroethane was not flammable.
Trichloroethane is bad for the ozone layer so we switched to trichloroethylene.
Trichloroethylene is not as much of an ozone problem but is more of a people problem (as in dangerous).
The ‘use outdoors or well ventilated’ was since if either gets into a flame it will break down and the result is not good for you.
The two are both chlorinated (obviously from the name) and can be hard on aluminum.
The non-chlorinated products often have ether, Stoddard solvent (AKA mineral sprits), Naptha (AKA Benzine NOT Benzene), alcohols (isopropal, ethyl, methyl), and whatever ‘hot’ solvents are cheap to clean and evaporate quickly.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Use a gun cleaning product instead of an automobile product and you won't have to worry about issues like this: www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05037.html, or setting yourself on fire.

Mike

Hang on a minute...   You're saying that because Valvoline had some defective spray nozzels or something that means we should stick with gun branded cleaners?  That doesn't make any sense. Also, gun cleaners and almost all oils are flamable.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top