Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:40:19 PM EDT
What technique or tools are you guys using or recommending to clean the barrel underneath free-floating handguards or rail systems?  In my case specifically, YHM free float rails on a Bushmanster modular carbine.

tia
john
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
You can use small wool daubers used for glues, primers, leather dyes, etc. Or a shotgun swab. The daubers are cheaper though, and you can buy them by the 100's....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:29:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I never clean mine cause it never got dirty enough to worry about.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:35:06 AM EDT
[#3]
a 12 gauge swab
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
That is something I wonder abut.  My M-4 has gotten wet several times and the dust on it turned to mud...  I can get it off bc the RAS is removable.  If it was a LaRue...who knows.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#5]
I would think plain old brake cleaner would work well for blasting dirt away. Then follow up with a light coat of CLP.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:49:48 AM EDT
[#6]
What about using some high temp engine paint to paint the barrel under the rails?  Won't keep it cleaner, but it would help prevent rust wouldn't it?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:53:22 AM EDT
[#7]
ONLY those who are certifiably anal-retentive worry about such things...........

Mike
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:13:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
ONLY those who are certifiably anal-retentive worry about such things...........

Mike

Or if you work with the rifle....get it good and wet/muddy and tell me you don't need to clean carbon based steel.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:17:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Mike

The other 2% of Arfcommers occasionally jam something crude in between the tube and the barrel.  Once in a great while after some drills I'll have sand grit up there and some mud.  I usually put it under the sink and dry it using a rag on the end of a coat hanger.

Typically the only way you'll get crud up there is if your barrel has residual oils / lubes / etc on it.  If the barrel is dry and clean as it should be, the only crap that'd be on the barrel after a field session is whatever goop you picked up while using the gun.

Good question though, so don't feel like a newb.  Everyone's gotta learn sometime.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:18:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

Or if you work with the rifle....get it good and wet/muddy and tell me you don't need to clean carbon based steel.  

Use an air hose then. Couple hundred psi will clean it up in seconds.

Mike
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top