Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2006 6:40:12 PM EDT
Got 2 cans half used, or half full, depending on who you are. It's supposed to apply a slick teflon coat when sprayed on parts, besides being a supposed cleaner and protectant, I guess. Am I a nitwit for using the rest of this stuff on my trusty AR or is it just as good as regular mil spec CLP?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
probably no, several have reported problems with it
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, I've had the 2 cans for years along with other types of CLP and being the cheapazz that I am, won't throw it away. I'm not used to this garrison or "hollywood" style cleaning. The way I was raised, just throw some wd-40 on it and time to rock. In the army, lube with CLP, none of this hollywood fancy stuff and babying your rifle, and give it hell. Of course, we had to take care of the rifle but not like most civilians do. I think the time and money we spend cleaning $5 parts to perfection is a waste sometimes, which I can certainly say I'm guilty of and reading some threads doesn't help my obsessive-compulsiveness of a clean weapon, it only feeds that compulsion. Ok, let me stop there. /rant.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
It will work, just not last as long as a thicker oil like clp.  For me I found it to light for my taste.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It will work, just not last as long as a thicker oil like clp.  For me I found it to light for my taste.

+1

Save the Remoil for hinges or other light duty stuff around the house.  Give FP10 a try, I think you'll like it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:37:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Try breakfree  clp you wont look back!!!~
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Not a bad product.But,theres better out there.Plus the smell is pretty horrid.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, thanks for the replies. I've heard good stuff about breakfree, I'll try some of that. Considering what we spend on AR's, might as well go with the good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]
All I use is Rem Oil now being as I dont put Harsh abuse on my gun and my life is dependent on it. It seems to work fine but I dont put as many rounds through it as everyone else either
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:21:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well, I've had the 2 cans for years along with other types of CLP and being the cheapazz that I am, won't throw it away. I'm not used to this garrison or "hollywood" style cleaning. The way I was raised, just throw some wd-40 on it and time to rock. In the army, lube with CLP, none of this hollywood fancy stuff and babying your rifle, and give it hell. Of course, we had to take care of the rifle but not like most civilians do. I think the time and money we spend cleaning $5 parts to perfection is a waste sometimes, which I can certainly say I'm guilty of and reading some threads doesn't help my obsessive-compulsiveness of a clean weapon, it only feeds that compulsion. Ok, let me stop there. /rant.

Your experience is the exact opposite of mine and many others with the Army and cleaning of weapons.  It's the Army and it's armorers that want spotless weapons, to the point that SM's are using damaging methods to clean them.  Dental picks, flattened coat hangers as scrapers, green scouring pads, like Scotchbrite (R), wire brushes, etc.  Ever read those Ranger Rick tips books?  The first one that sugguests using a drill on low speed with the cleaning rod to clean the bore?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]
CLP/Break Free is the only way for me!

I do like Rem Oil on my MICROTECHS
and have used it on some pistols/revolvers with great results

you could use worse
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Save the Remoil for hinges or other light duty stuff around the house.  Give FP10 a try, I think you'll like it.

+2
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Dental picks, flattened coat hangers as scrapers, green scouring pads, like Scotchbrite (R), wire brushes, etc

Yeah, sounds familiar. And yes, I've read the Ranger Rick books. lol, I don't recall reading about using the drill on low speed to clean the bore, but I don't doubt it. As far as cleaning of weapons goes, sure, our armorers like them cleaned but not anything like I recall in basic. I remember nights out in the cold in the barracks breezeway srubbing our rifles until there was no dust, rust, carbon, etc. and having to get up and have the DS inspect the rifles, find a dust or carbon particle, get that out while using a dirty cleaning utensil, so another spec of dust or carbon would get inside the rifle, it sucked. No spec whatsoever unless it was part of the rifle. I can't even recall the armorers at my permanant unit even inspecting the insides.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Remoil contains PTFE's.  Now I don't necessarily think this is a BAD thing.  I would certainly keep it out of the bore, I think that's a no-no for solid lubricants.  However, things like TW25B are PTFE based and they are known to be great on things like pistol slides.  

If it were me.  I'd probably put it on for bolt/bolt carrier lube and I could see using it on plenty of other guns.  Just not through the bore.

My $.02

Gundraw
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Dental picks, flattened coat hangers as scrapers, green scouring pads, like Scotchbrite (R), wire brushes, etc

Yeah, sounds familiar. And yes, I've read the Ranger Rick books. lol, I don't recall reading about using the drill on low speed to clean the bore, but I don't doubt it. As far as cleaning of weapons goes, sure, our armorers like them cleaned but not anything like I recall in basic. I remember nights out in the cold in the barracks breezeway srubbing our rifles until there was no dust, rust, carbon, etc. and having to get up and have the DS inspect the rifles, find a dust or carbon particle, get that out while using a dirty cleaning utensil, so another spec of dust or carbon would get inside the rifle, it sucked. No spec whatsoever unless it was part of the rifle. I can't even recall the armorers at my permanant unit even inspecting the insides.

What kind of unit were you in????  I've ALWAYS had to get my weapons spotless before turn in, Active and Guard, both Infantry and Combat Engineer units.  Or just keep them and keep cleaning until everyone is ready to get off, and they start yelling at everyone to turn in their weapons.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#15]

What kind of unit were you in?

11B, 82nd airborne. I think comparatively, our armorers were pretty cool about weapons turn-in.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You make it sound like it blew up a rifle.

It's oil.  It's okay.  Just okay.  Breakfree CLP is a better cleaner IMO and just as available.  Rem Oil isn't terrible, its just not anything to write home about either.  It's awfully light.

The little 1 OZ bottles fit nicely in buttstock cleaning kits and don't leak like the oiler bottles that come in the kits.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#17]
It'll burn off your cam pin and bolt leaving them completely un-lubricated after a couple hundred rnds. It's great for cleaning and lubing lowers and fire control groups, it dries out bit leaving things with the right amount of lube with out the mess of bf clp.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's oil.  It's okay.  Just okay.  Breakfree CLP is a better cleaner IMO and just as available.  Rem Oil isn't terrible, its just not anything to write home about either.  It's awfully light.

The little 1 OZ bottles fit nicely in buttstock cleaning kits and don't leak like the oiler bottles that come in the kits.

ass
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:10:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I've always used remoil til lately. I figured if regular cheap clp worked, then the $3.00 remoil would work just as good. Used it in my 22 browning buck mark pistol and shoot 500 rounds on some weekend days in a matter of hours. I just had some laying around and wondering if I should use it or upgrade, which I have, to breakfree. My experience, as long as a gun has a slick coating of some kind of regular viscosity oil, it'll work. But my experience may not be enough and the AR is a different beast, and more expensive, hence the thread.

Edit: After using remoil for a while and then going to breakfree, I know what you guys mean by pretty light oil. It works but I will save it for hinges, tools, etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ass

I got this image of Wolf ammunition and Rem Oil living in perfect harmony, it was weird
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Although I am a die-hard Eezox user, Rem-oil isn't bad for wiping fingerprints off the outside of a firearm. Its thin enough not to gunk up, but its still oil to offer protection to your gun's surface while in the safe.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top