Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2006 10:41:16 AM EDT
First time post, long time lurker. I've finished my first build, a 20" A2 Post Ban HBAR on a stag lower.

I took it out for the first time, did pretty well but noticed the case deflector got a few scratches in the finish to the point where the black was gone and I could see the aluminum. I only ran about 120 rounds through it.

I did some searching, I only go back 30 days and didn't see anything.

Is this normal?  I can touch it up with a birchwood-casey pen if needed.

I've seen mention of putting tape or felt on this, thoughts?

I'm looking to do some CMP shooting with this rifle, do you think they'd give me greif if I put felt on it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, Thanks for the quick reply.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure it's bare aluminum you're seeing?  120 rounds doesn't seem enough to wear through the anodizing.  Could it be just brass markings?  Try scrubbing it with some solvent.

ETA:  I guess if you're using steel casings, they might be causing the accelerated wear.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#4]
sELL ALL YOUR 5.56 AND 223 AMMO YOUR CASE DEFLECTOR WILL THANK YOU FOR IT.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:03:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't try buffing it out.  It was brass, .223 Federal American Eagle.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Why does it matter?  If you use it, it will get fucked up.  When a gun is all used up, get a new one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Are you sure it's bare aluminum you're seeing?  120 rounds doesn't seem enough to wear through the anodizing.  Could it be just brass markings?  Try scrubbing it with some solvent.

I'd have to agree.  

If 120 rounds of brass casing actually wore through the anodizing, you have bigger problems than scratches on the case deflector.  Anodizing is a very hard protective layer on the aluminum designed to provide a wear surface for the moving steel parts.  If brass is removing this layer, imagine what the hardened steel bolt carrier is doing inside the upper receiver.

In any case, it's called a brass deflector for a reason.  Brass is supposed to hit there.  You don't complain about dirt on your car tire treads do you??
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You don't complain about dirt on your car tire treads do you??

I've been meaning to talk to someone about that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:13:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Just let it do what it was designed to do :)  Get scratched up, so your face doesn't.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top