Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/16/2006 11:05:53 PM EDT
OK, so being a dumbass, I was cleaning my .40S&W and my AR-15 (.223) and I used the wrong patch into my AR-15 barrel...I'm using an Otis kit so as I pulled it through it got stuck and I realized (after the carb cleaner fumes cleared my head) that I had the wrong patch...OK...too late to get it out so I pull hard to get it through.  

NOW, as I got it out, I noticed brass on my patch...checked the brass pulling thing and noticed it was scratched...did I just scrape up my chrome lined barrel?  I'm not going for accuracy on this rifle...just shooting out to 100 yards max normally...should I be worried?  

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:13:19 PM EDT
[#1]
You are fine! Chrome is many, many  time harder then brass! That is why so many cleaning tools are made of it, so it won't harm that bore.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:23:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You are fine! Chrome is many, many  time harder then brass! That is why so many cleaning tools are made of it, so it won't harm that bore.

+1 it won't harm a chrome Bbl, and that it why that make cleaning tools out of it, and because when it corrodes it doesn't turn into something that could like when aluminium corrodes it turns to aluminum oxide and that is hard enouph to mess with a steel BBl, don't know about chrome
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:47:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I would bet  a rifle that you did no harm.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:37:58 AM EDT
[#4]
what the others have said
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:34:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Think about it this way.  They make brass hammers and punches so that one can STRIKE steel with them and do no damage to the impacted metal.  As others have said, barrel steel is very much harder than brass.  You have no worries.

As far as aluminum rods go, check out this Thread.  Especially the second page.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for all the input, i feel better.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top