Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 11:57:18 AM EDT
Call me a newbie, but I am having problems getting the handguard off of my new AR-15.  This mostly has to do with my inexperience (as this is the first time I have even held one).  I am trying to get them off for future know how when cleaning/oiling, and  I am wanting to replace it with a 4 rail hand guard in the future, so I will eventually need to get them off.   The delta ring is very hard to move, and I can't seem to get it down far enough for me to even try to remove the handguard, especially when I try with one hand, or remove a hand to take the handguard off.  Maybe I am just weak, who knows.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips?  I want to keep the finish in as good of condition as possible, ie.: I don't want to use any makeshift tools that could/will scratch it.

Thanks for your help!

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the tool from the link posted, very handy to have around for your own AR's and friends.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:47:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the link, that tool seems helpful.  After seeing that I stumbled onto a website that shows how to make your own tool like this.  Seems pretty easy and cheap.  I will give it a shot this weekend.

http://quartz2.cyberstation.net/~dwpaul/hgrt.htm

Also, just wondering, but is this something that will just get easier with time/practice?  I was talking to a buddy that was in the army and the first thing they were told to do when field striping was take the handguard off.   I know they didn't have a tool for this, and in the future if I ever decide to join the army reserve, I will need to know how to do this by hand.  Is there any tips you have to make this easier, or will I just have to build up some brute strength?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#4]
The more you do it the simpler it will become.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#5]
It's almost a 2 person job.  I was getting so pissed last night.

Invest in a handguard removal tool.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:25:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The old slip ring was almost a 2 person job. The newer delta ring makes it a one person job.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:20:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Well... $5 and a half hour later, I was successful in making the tool.  It didn't come out as perfect as the one shown on the page, but it works all the same.  Now all I need to do is paint it so it doesn't rust.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Hold you weapon upright with the buttstock resting on the floor. Hold the barrel up by the muzzle in one hand, then use the free set of Mk1 Fingers of your other hand and pull down on the delta ring. Done.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:08:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I spent $8 for the tool and it cames right off with no problem
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I find it's much easier if you start with the bottom half first. Which can be made easier further by removing the carry handle/optics if you have a flattop receiver.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top