Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:15:31 PM EDT
I took by bolt apart on my new bushies I have had about a month and shot each about 4 to 5 times. They were cleaned well without full bolt takedown. This time I took the bolt apart and when I saw the 3 silver rings it brought something  back to mind. I remember having to replace these on my Colt HBAR I bought in late 80's and sold early 90's. I can remember what the deal was if they became damaged through taking the bolt apart of just general wear.
Anyone know much about this.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
They are the gas rings.  just clean and inspect, replace when worn or damaged

Brett
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:37:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never heard of gas rings wearing out.  I suppose it's possible though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess you might replace them if you wanted a 1-piece ring but I think they're stainless steel.  Just remember to position them equi-distant from each other.  Roughly 120 degrees apart and you won't have extraction failures.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:37:41 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
 Just remember to position them equi-distant from each other.  Roughly 120 degrees apart and you won't have extraction failures.

Old wives tale.

Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:39:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've never heard of gas rings wearing out.  I suppose it's possible though.

Yes, it is definately possible and does happen. Usually you will see functioning problems when they are needing to be replaced.

The test for replacing them is easy. Take the bolt out of the carrier. Replace just the bolt back in the carrier and hold it inverted. If the bolt slides out of the carrier *under its own weight* then they are ready to be replaced.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Just remember to position them equi-distant from each other.  Roughly 120 degrees apart and you won't have extraction failures.

Old wives tale.

Don't worry about it.

very very true, I've set all three up in the same spot and shot wolf with no issues
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Old wives tale.

Don't worry about it.

very very true, I've set all three up in the same spot and shot wolf with no issueshr

really? what about blow by?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Old wives tale.

Don't worry about it.

very very true, I've set all three up in the same spot and shot wolf with no issues

don't worry about it. Just inspect them to make sure they are not damaged. I ignore them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Ban him.  Ban the heretic.  Everyone knows with the three rings lined up shooting Wolf your gun will simply melt from the evil coming out.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Do you really think that the rings stay all lined up once you put them back in the carrier and then shoot it some?

Try it and see for yourself. I have seen rifles function perfectly normal with only *2* rings !  
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top