Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2006 9:07:24 AM EDT
I have OTIS and DEWEY and my all time favorite millitary issue

But is it really needed for a Military Chrome Chamber/barrel?

It sure seems to me that a mil spec rod would work just fine!

Whats the real scoup on Chrome lined barrels and Metal Cleaning rods hurt accuracy?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Cleaning rod thread

Here is a discussion I had with another member just a couple of weeks ago.  Plenty of good information in this thread to help make your decision.  You'll be able to easily tell my opinion on coated rods.

I would stay away from steel cleaning rods though.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel the same as you sorta who needs all that shit?

I have the Otis wich I like Alot and the company gave me free stuff great P.R. I bought it back in 2001 only thing wrong is the case stitching came loose?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#3]
The military kits work fine in military barrels, hundreds of thousands of M16 barrels have been cleaned in the past 40 years.  Dewey rods are great for match barrels as well as chrome lined barrels.  I prefer a straightened coat hanger with a piece of toilet paper on the end myself, and spend time thinking about much more important things.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#4]
chrome lined barrels are not the most accurate barrels to begin with.  The idea behind using a coated rod, bore guide etc. etc. is to prevent any scratching and galling of the bore that would adversely affect accuracy.

As KurtVF said -- The special cleaning equipment should be used in the high-end match grade barrels.  For chrome lined -- use the mil-spec or whatever you have to get the job done.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes I FELT this way since my first chrome lined barrel in the 80`s

Chrome lined are tuff

But love my OTIS anyway because it is easy to carry in grip
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Some people must have no lives to argue over the type of cleaning rod. For my chrome lined bores, mil spec works just fine, some people sound like they are trying to chip a block of ice. Just take your time and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Just be carful with the steel rods around the barrel crown.  The sections of the rod can impact/graze this perpendicular area which is not protected by chrome.  I don't consider this to be a big problem with soft (alum. or brass) rods, but steel (even soft steel) is quite a bit harder and might do damage.  

It's unlikely, IMHO, that any damage would occur to the very hard chrome inside the bore.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#8]
DELETE TOPIC
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
ok ok...i'll use my aluminum one. who cares......seriously doesn't anyone know how hard chromed metal is???? Ever heard of chrome rings? Every vehicle has them, and they are tuff as shit with metal to metal contact for 100thousands of miles.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Whats the real scoup on Chrome lined barrels and Metal Cleaning rods hurt accuracy?

I WOULD ASK CHUCK SANTOES!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#11]

doesn't anyone know how hard chromed metal is????

Barrel steel = ~30 Rockwell = Pretty hard
Hard chrome = ~70 Rockwell = Way F'n hard  

I WOULD ASK CHUCK SANTOES

Who??  I even Googled...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Like I said I dont think its needed

But I do love my OTIS it fits in my grip!

WHAT DONT YOU UNDER STAND FALARAK??

Tempest

Chuck is  old school military man ! 50 yard ZERO Ring a bell ?

He help me in 2001 with getting a Aimpoint set up! Great ADVICE

and tested some ammo for me and the forum!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#13]
FALARAK dont you even know who he is? Very Nice guy!

Chuck SANTOSE is in the know !!!very good teacher! ( EDIT )

JUST ASK FOREST?? Chuck Taught Forest alot!

I have a Email from 2001 from Forest stateing he had good Teachers like CHUCK SANTOSE ( EDIT )

FALARAK I wouldnt make FUN of Chuck thats just shows how STUPID you are!

Im willing to learn from others UNLIKE YOU!

I would take Chucks ADVISE way over yours

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info FMJ.  He sounds like one of the type of guys I would love to learn from.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:44:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Chuck SANTOES is in the know !!!very good teacher!

The good LTC spells his name: "Santose".
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Im terrible at spelling MY BAD! Plus the one finger thingy
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top