Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2006 11:34:37 PM EDT
Does anyone here use W40 to clean they 're AR15  & other weapons? I  spray the shit out of the inside receiver of the AR, that gets the crud out, I then wipe it down really good, then wipe it down again with  oil..is this okay?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I use it to wash my ass crack after a good poo.  It also cuts down on chaffing.
No I don't use it to clean weapons, other than to loosen some stuck bolts and such.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:44:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Ya it does make for a nasty visual.

Carb cleaner works best for de-gunking an AR.  Just remember to oil it up real good after.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#4]
After a range session with a bunch of Aussie mil guys recently, they were all hosing down their Steyrs with WD40 to remove the carbon.; it was pretty funny to see.

It works pretty well for that, is cheap, and isn't as caustic as brake cleaner around sensitive non-metal parts.  You're not going to get much lubrication out of it long term (best to use CLP for that), but you will get more than brake cleaner will provide...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#5]
WD 40= Water Displacement 40th attempt. No joke.

WD is great for water displacement, it is a crappy lube because it is NOT one. It can and does dry and will form a lacquer over time. It can kill primers.

There are other MUCH better products to be using in and around your firearms than this.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:30:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I use lots WD40 in my cleaning process for black-powder firearms, after giving the affected parts a bath. I follow this up with a light coating of CLP for storage. Never tried B-P in any of my gas-operated guns (& not planning to try ).....guess I'll stick strictly to CLP for these.

As a side note, CLP also displaces moisture and makes an excellent protectant for stored weapons.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:00:10 AM EDT
[#7]
YES if I aint got BRAKE CLEANER OR CLP
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#8]
what every one else said, it's fairly decent as a solvent, good for wiping down blue magazines for example, has light rust protection properties, but almost 0 lubrication properties.  It has its value, for examples a small patch sprayed with WD40 will clean your firing pin right up
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#9]
According to the MSDS, WD40 is 3 things:

~%50 Aliphatic Petroleum distillates = Mineral spirits (solvent) = Evaporates quickly

~%25 Petroleum Base oil = What's left, and there are plenty of other full synthetic products out there.

~%18 LVC Hydrocarbon Fluid = Carrier for everything = Does not do much in the end?

Plus the CO2 pressure gas and some "none hazardous" material (wax??).

Volatile % (amount that will evaporate):

WD40 = %74 (aerosol)
Corrosion X (aerosol) = ~%20     (Oil) = ~%9
FP-10= %0 (Oil)

I am NOT a chemist so take this information for what you paid for it.  This is only from some quick research on the web.  I personally would use other products on my guns.

ETA: I just noticed that Corrosion X and WD40 use the same CAS # for their solvent carriers (LVC)...very interesting...hmmm.
FP10 uses no solvents at all.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#10]
like i say if I aint got my Brake cleaner and CLP

I would use WD40 better than NOTHING
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
WD 40= Water Displacement 40th attempt. No joke.

WD is great for water displacement, it is a crappy lube because it is NOT one. It can and does dry and will form a lacquer over time. It can kill primers.

There are other MUCH better products to be using in and around your firearms than this.

It's an old Wives Tale WD-40 wont kill primers. But I once put WD-40 on a dime and two days later it was a NICKLE!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Cleans my brushes really well and it works as a carbon cleaner. It's not the best carbon cleaner but it works, especially over a little time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I use it after initial blasts of carb cleaner. It has the advantage of evaporating much slower than carb cleaner,so it's handy for keeping carbon crud in suspension so you can blast out the residue with more carb cleaner or wipe it away with a rag. It makes a decent spray on quick polish for parkerized weapons. I don't use it in my lower or on moving components. I've switched to teflon lube for that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I wasn't issued any cleaning gear when I was in Iraq.  All I had to clean my M9 was a can of WD-40 and paper towels.

It worked just fine for cleaning out all the dust and gunk.  Never fired the thing while I was there; it probably wouldn't have been too good for carbon and such.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top