Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/7/2006 4:10:31 PM EDT
the other day I used brake cleaner once agian!
The stuff is great I wish I knew about it Years ago?
But Thanks to ya guys for telling me about this.
I use CLP most of the time  and now Both!

Thanks AGIAN FOR THE INFO!! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Be careful it can ruin some finishes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Works GREAT doesn't it?  Works even better if you use it in conjunction with compressed air.

Next time you clean the lock-lug area, hose it down with non-chlorine brake cleaner then hit it with compressed air.  Presto-clean !!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
A finish that can't handle brake cleaner deserves to be stripped and replaced by one that can! I buy the stuff by the case.

Wear gloves and eye protection!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:10:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A finish that can't handle brake cleaner deserves to be stripped and replaced by one that can!

I think he means wood finishes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#5]
These things happen!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:34:07 AM EDT
[#6]
WOOD??
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do this religiously when using the stuff, ask me how I know.

Ouch!

ETA:  The stuff works like a charm, cheap too!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Brake parts cleaner is a good degreaser.   That is what you're all talking about using it for, right?  Because I'm not aware of it having any other purpose with regard to firearms.  It's not a powder solvent, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Carb cleaner is better.  It is what brake cleaner used to be, before the EPA and some hippie made them change it to non-flamable and less toxic.  

Oh, and it won't harm any painted finishes...  Yeah...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Cleaning lugs/chamber etc!

I never heard of it before last year and just used CLP like always!

I thought they guys were CRAZY

Brake Cleaner NON chlorinated PRESTONE RULES
cuts cleaning by a long shot!

Try it

BTW cleans powder with ease
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A finish that can't handle brake cleaner deserves to be stripped and replaced by one that can! I buy the stuff by the case.

+1
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Brake parts cleaner is a good degreaser.   That is what you're all talking about using it for, right?  Because I'm not aware of it having any other purpose with regard to firearms.  It's not a powder solvent, AFAIK.

It might not say "powder solvent" on the label, and when they do put that on there they charge $8 a can instead of $2.  But if you think it doesn't get rid of gunpowder residue immediately and completely, you're sorely mistaken.

+1 on buying it by the case...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#13]
+1 GUS

best tip I have been Told for a Very Long time!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:34:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Yup, started using it about Aug of last year. Very nice! Can't believe how much time I save now.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:58:55 AM EDT
[#15]
aint it great!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I use break cleaner to clean off my bore brushes after each series of passes!!!!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I normally use dish soap or Simple Green for the deep cleanings but brake cleaner... i'll have to give that a try.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Make sure its NON chorlinated I like PRESTONE the Best
soon as you try it you will be Sold!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#19]
i love brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Been using it for years.  I used for all kinds of projects.  I try to keep 4 or 5 cans in stock at all times.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#21]
You are the Man! I bet you have it all? since you got that super cool scope on that Bushy 20incher
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Are gloves really that important for brake cleaner?  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#23]
NO but its cold
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Been using brake cleaner since 1993 or so. You always get the "YOU CAN'T USE THAT CRAP!!!! IT'LL RUIN YOUR FIREARM!!!!!!!" crowd. But I've never had a problem with it. Same thing as Gun Scrubber, but a lot cheaper.

Because it degreases quite well, I always coat with a light oil or CLP afterwards. It really drys out the metal.

I still get a kick out the the people who swear by Breakfree only to clean a firearm. Of course, I don't use gun oil to lube my firearms either. Learned about the sweet concoction of 5w30 synthetic and Wilson white grease to lube them from a friend at Dillon. Works like glass.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#25]
You will really love GOJO hand cleaner for hard to clean carbon deposits.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone had a bad experience with brake cleaner?

Brian
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Brian

Yes.

It does NOT enhance the capability of normal toilet paper.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#28]

The chlorinated will melt most plastics.  Though I have yet to see it harm a Glock or an XD.  I have seen it melt cheap plastic grips on more than one occation, though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#29]
It's bad for your skin and liver.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Thus the gloves, safety glasses, and outdoor only useage.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:02:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thus the gloves, safetly glasses, and outdoor only useage.

or I can just use a non-toxic cleaner w/o the fuss and get it cleaned just as fast.
I use brake cleaner for working on cars and it's fairly effective in removing carbon with a lot of scrubbing.

For guns, CLP and some wiping will get rid of most of the light fouling. For the hard carbon deposits I just leave it there or use some brushes with a non-toxic cleaner like M-Pro 7, or almost non-toxic CLP. If I were to clean my gear outdoors the neighbors would have a heart attack.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Been using it for years.  I used for all kinds of projects.  I try to keep 4 or 5 cans in stock at all times.

cough bullshit cough  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:11:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thus the gloves, safetly glasses, and outdoor only useage.

or I can just use a non-toxic cleaner w/o the fuss and get it cleaned just as fast.
I use brake cleaner for working on cars and it's fairly effective in removing carbon with a lot of scrubbing.

I'd love to see a non toxic cleaner that can remove powder residue faster and easier than brake cleaner. I doubt one exists. If you're extra sensitive to chemicals, that's one thing. I'm not.

Also, if I were cleaning only one gun, or one that had only a few rounds fired since the last cleaning, that might be a little different. Machine guns are WAY dirtier than semis after a day of shooting (1000 rounds in a day is routine), so the fastest most powerful solvent that won't actually eat the gun is my preference. When it's only $2 a can, all the better.

As usual, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cough bullshit cough  

Notice I said *try*    I just finished my last can when you came over.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:29:03 AM EDT
[#35]
the Valvoline stuff is

TOLUENE                                           108-88-3      45.0  
 METHYL ALCOHOL                                     67-56-1      30.0  
 ALIPHATIC PETROLEUM DISTILLATES                 64742-89-8   20.0- 30.0  

The last entry is basically Naptha.
None are serious hazards, unless you want to snort the stuff.
It will dry your skin by removing all the oils, and methyl alcohol can be absorbed through the skin.
Nitrile gloves and keep it out of your eyes (goggles).

Most of the other non-chlorinated are similar, with a few using ether like carb cleaner.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Tx LEWIS is FALARAK a bullshiter?

I do not belive it what so ever

Plus I never had trouble using as toilet Paper as he cliams

METROPLEX
I have a Liver disease Thanks for the tip!

But I will Stick with the PROVEN PRESTONE until the GUY`S in the KNOW learn Different.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I've used brake cleaner a few times on my weapons to see if they'd work better. I don't shoot "a few rounds", I generally shoot several hundred rounds or until i run out of ammo at the range. It's by no means a dirty monger, but I shoot only Wolf ammo. Brake cleaner just makes it smell bad, dries my hands, and removes paint/damages plastic, and has marginally better carbon removal capabilities. i use it for cleaning car parts because its cheap, however I still have to scrub using a brush. I can do the same thing with CLP or M-Pro 7 and get the same results. I don't hose it down with the "expensive" stuff, I just use whatever amount is needed. I haven't had a problem following this route. I'm sure you can go on for years/decades w/o any health problems using brake cleaner - I've used it plenty of times when working on cars.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#38]
I use PRESTONE NON CHLORINATED

IT wont HURT anything Im soory I should of post at top this FACT

YES you are right regular will do that!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#39]
I clean the bulk of the dirt off using safer cleaners like Simple Green (steel parts), Mpro-7, and MC-25.  They simply work great, can be used to scrub with a brush, and don't have a bad smell (can be used indoors).  Brake cleaner is used to flush any remaining water/residue that is left behind from the preveous cleaners.  This way, very little brake cleaner is used (limiting exposure), and time spent outside is limited.

Using just brake cleaner to clean guns has always been a disappointment.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Brakleen hurt the finish on my SKS, but what can you expect from a Yugo anyway.

+1 for eye protection. Don't ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I use PRESTONE NON CHLORINATED

IT wont HURT anything Im soory I should of post at top this FACT

YES you are right regular will do that!

Non-chlorinated still dries my hands and there are numerous warnings on the back. If its not broken don't fix it, CLP and M-Pro 7 seem to work fairly well or at least enough to clean the weapons properly. For anything serious, I go to Slip 2k Carbon Killer.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Whatever Im sorry you have Bad results with it!

More for us in the know

I only bought my first AR15 in 83/85 cant remember so give me a break Im new at this stuff
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#43]
hell I have used  pressurized hot water (1kpsi) with great results.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Hot water and simple green works well for the Glocks.
I saw some Ka Boom for sale
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#45]
I bet the steam thingy would work also
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I bet the steam thingy would work also

Steam works in cleaning the carbon out of combustion chambers in engines.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top