Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2006 12:01:51 PM EDT
I posted this same question in the AR Specific forum with some good responses (most use the goldenrod) but would like to know if anyone here has any experience with the EVA DRY product in their safe.

Its a small box like product that uses silica gel to absord moisture without the use of electricity.  Every 2 -3 months you plug it into a wall outlet for about 8 hours and it ready for use again.

My concern is WHEN we get hit with another hurricane, we will loose power possibly for weeks or even months.  The climate in FL that time of year is very humid and an additional non ac unit might do the trick, but I dont want to waste 20-30 bucks if it does not work well.  THanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You could just use some of the bags of dessicant like silica gel. Add several bags and then pop in the oven every so often to dry them back out.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Pikachu, I grappled with the same issue - power failure after a hurricane.  I use the goldenrod but that's obviously useless in a power loss situation.

The problem with the silica gels is that they absorb moisture and saturate pretty quickly, at which point they are useless.

I no longer use the silica in my safe.  Instead, I'm being absolutely anal about cleaning and oiling.  A good coat of oil on the guns in the safe will stop corrosion if (when) the power goes out.  I'm going so far as to think of putting a drum of a light oil (CLP type) in my garage and dunking whole guns sans plastic/wood before putting them away.

Another thing that will help is to minimize opening the safe in a power out situation -- the safes are pretty close to airtight and opening it will keep down the relative humidity for some time.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the ideas.  I am anal as well about corrosion.  I am just trying to cover all my bases especially since I got hit with 2 hurricanes this past year and lost power for a while both times.  I will hook up a generator in the near future and soon as funds become avail and the price gouching comes down.  But until then and HUrricane season starting in 3 months, I want to find some alternatives.  THanks again for the input.

Anybody else have any suggestions that dont require AC?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Well Phil_A_Steen had the answer.............

Use a good grade gun oil Like Break-Free "Collectors"  It has been tested in Salt-water vapor and has prevented rust in the most extreme conditions. I find this oil very heavy ....so If I go to use a treated weapon........I will clean off this oil first, especially inside the barrel.

But I don't think Dehumidfiers are the answer to rust problems............. just a good careful coating of the appropriate gun oil is.  Just MHO.

JF.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#5]
HYDROSORBENT PRODUCTS...
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top