Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2006 6:26:10 AM EDT
Is there info on taking the bolt apart for routine cleaning?  I have done a search and could not find anything.  My main concerns are the pins and springs that may pose a problem.  Thanks inadvance.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Bolt Disassembly

1. Remove each gas ring (starting with the rear one) by hooking the ring's gap and lifting the end of the ring up and out of the groove. Then spin it off. Be sure not to pull the rings' ends straight apart -- twist them open.

2. Remove the extractor from the bolt by pushing its retaining pin out and lifting off the extractor.

3. Remove the ejector by driving out its retaining pin with a punch and remove the ejector and spring from the front of the bolt. The spring will be under pressure, so make sure it doesn't fly across the room.

Bolt Assembly

1. Install the gas rings onto the bolt by winding them on from the rear of the bolt. Offset the gaps in the rings.

2. Install ejector spring and ejector and pin in place.

3. Install extractor with spring and pin into place.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
M4, thank you very much.  I will give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bolt Disassembly

1. Remove each gas ring (starting with the rear one) by hooking the ring's gap and lifting the end of the ring up and out of the groove. Then spin it off. Be sure not to pull the rings' ends straight apart -- twist them open.

2. Remove the extractor from the bolt by pushing its retaining pin out and lifting off the extractor.

3. Remove the ejector by driving out its retaining pin with a punch and remove the ejector and spring from the front of the bolt. The spring will be under pressure, so make sure it doesn't fly across the room.

Bolt Assembly

1. Install the gas rings onto the bolt by winding them on from the rear of the bolt. Offset the gaps in the rings.

2. Install ejector spring and ejector and pin in place.

3. Install extractor with spring and pin into place.

Good instructions, but is that really "routine cleaning" as mentioned in the original poster's question?  IMO - it goes beyond "routine"
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I probably used the wrong word, but that is exactly the info I was looking for.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, sooo... how often DO you clean the bolt? I mean a full-on disassembly type cleaning?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Okay, sooo... how often DO you clean the bolt? I mean a full-on disassembly type cleaning?

I wouldn't recommend taking the rings off unless they are being replaced. As long as the ejector is strong and depresses like it should, I don't disassemble it either. I basically wipe the bolt down, and if it is very dirty, I'll scrape any carbon build-up from the rear of the bolt and also remove the extractor for inspection.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:00:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't recommend taking the rings off unless they are being replaced. As long as the ejector is strong and depresses like it should, I don't disassemble it either. I basically wipe the bolt down, and if it is very dirty, I'll scrape any carbon build-up from the rear of the bolt and also remove the extractor for inspection.

Exactly. DON'T strip your bolt. Break it down as far is the extractor. Nothing more. Clean and put back together... WarDawg
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Exactly. DON'T strip your bolt. Break it down as far is the extractor. Nothing more. Clean and put back together.

Good advice.  There is no reason to routinely disabled the bolt beyond a basic field strip, which simply involves removing the extractor only.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Exactly. DON'T strip your bolt. Break it down as far is the extractor. Nothing more. Clean and put back together.

Good advice.  There is no reason to routinely disabled the bolt beyond a basic field strip, which simply involves removing the extractor only.  

And not only that, I don't even remember ever taking the extractor off the bolt after firing for record while in the Corps, not even in boot camp. I guess the DI's knew better than to let a bunch of kids play with those small parts and most likely lose a few! I think if I took gas rings and the like off they would STILL be PTíng my ass on the quarterdeck to this day, 29 years later!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And not only that, I don't even remember ever taking the extractor off the bolt after firing for record while in the Corps, not even in boot camp. I guess the DI's knew better than to let a bunch of kids play with those small parts and most likely lose a few! I think if I took gas rings and the like off they would STILL be PTíng my ass on the quarterdeck to this day, 29 years later!

LOL   u would have worn the teak down to the bare metal by now! (Assuming u were on a battleship.)

Does anyone use Gunblaster? I've just come across this product and will start using it next time I shoot. It's VERY compressed solvent plus a little lemony odor to let you know that the sovent isn't killing you.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top