Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/24/2006 9:38:56 PM EDT
Alright im newbie to the rifle cleaning procedure using rod guides and jags
(only used Mil. cleaning kits and rods previously)  ,
-I have read many post's on this site and with my new knowledge went and ordered many new items including the following:

-  "o" Ring Rod Guide for AR-15's....Sinclair
841244 1 $24.89 Dewey 1-Piece Cleaning Rod 22 to....Midway
964450 1   $4.99 M-Pro 7 Military Grade Field CLP...Midway
356987 1   $2.89 Tipton Solid Brass Cleaning Jag....Midway
233011 1 $13.29 Butch's Triple Twill Cleaning Patches 1 1/8" WxL , 22-27 Caliber....Midway

When I open the gun and the breech is facing up and pull the bolt & handle out I then insert the Rod Guide. Next is where i run into the problem.... I try to run an oiled patch down the guide to clean the barrel and the patch gets stuck just after passing the guide (upon entering the barrel) hat
The Rod fits the barrel and the jag fits the barrel (double checked them), Any help would be great.
This is my first "New" Rifle and I really want learn what im doing wrong.  Thanks

DPMS 16" AR15
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have the right size patches? I’ve bought .22 cal patches that still needed to be trimmed a bit do to my jag size and the thickness of the patch.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I cut my own patches from double nap cotton flannel about 1 square inch in size.

I have used toptons 1.125 x 1.125 patches and with a jag some were tight, real tight. I found you have to be pretty close to dead nuts center or the patches will be a real bear to use.

My suggestion use those patches you have for the loop patch holder and find some patches that are 1x1 square cotton nap.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I belive my problem is the patch size...
after reading post : Lets Talk Patches !!! it would seem im not the only one with this issue.
The patches are 1-1/8" x 1-1/8" squares and fairly thick.
I will trim the patches slightly and jag them through the corner to see if it helps,
will post on my results.
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Well after I trimed my 1-1/8th" x 1-1/8th" patches the fit was still real tight and jams somtimes.
So now I am just cutting them in half making a triangle and it works fine.
Really would like to find a better soulution, like a patch that fits with no issue but is still tight.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top