Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 2:06:29 PM EDT
Shot my new AR yesterday. 150 rds. About half American Eagle .223 and half green-tipped m855. Never shot the m855 before. Is it normal to have green stuff on bolt, bc, firing pin, hammer, etc? It came off pretty easily, I just didn't anticipate getting green residue everywhere.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used that specific ammunition, but many powders leave a green residue in the rifle, especially Hogdon powders.  It's not a sign that there is anything wrong.

Quoted:
Shot my new AR yesterday. 150 rds. About half American Eagle .223 and half green-tipped m855. Never shot the m855 before. Is it normal to have green stuff on bolt, bc, firing pin, hammer, etc? It came off pretty easily, I just didn't anticipate getting green residue everywhere.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
primer sealent, my best guess.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably is the powder. Has sort of a burnt look to it. It's not like the red fleks of primer sealant from say shooting old Wolf ammo in an AK. Also, no green around primers, looks like a clear sealant.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:44:17 AM EDT
[#4]
The weird thing about the AR is that the red primer sealant on Wolf ammo somehow gets all crammed into the bolt's firing pin channel. On an AK, all of the red primer sealant gets jammed into the action/FCG area.

After shooting about 250 rd of Wolf thrugh the AR, I looked and didn't find the red stuff. I didn't think much of this and went home to clean the rest of the rifle. Several weeks later I decide to break down the bolt and check the extractor. WOW. The FP channel was CRAMMED with the primer sealant it wasn't enough to cause the FP to stick out, but it basically filled in the void between the FP and the bolt. I bought some more Wolf
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#5]
mk262 mod 0 leaves the same blue/green resadue too
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Its something to do with the powder.I have seen this also with the SA mil-surp 5.56.
Someone said awhile back it maybe the flash retardant used in the powder causing the green residue.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top