Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 11:32:35 AM EDT
I have not, but it seems more financially feasable than a 10 dollar can of CLP...Why don't you use it?

Why do you use it?

Any bad voodoo in wd-40?

So, let the flames begin...

BTW search for wd40, wd-40, and wd 40 yielded ZERO results
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Use it!

Penetrating oils are GREAT GUN LUBES!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Use it!

Does my spider sense sense sarcasm?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Does my spider sense sense sarcasm?

Yes, I believe it does.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Have heard that it will have a nullifying effect on primers.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#5]
WD-40 gums up and sticks to everything.  It's BAD.  When I was a kid I used to race BMX.  Thats what we used to get our grips on.  Spray on WD-40, the more the better. Within 5 minutes it had gummed up and the only way to get the grip off was with a razor blade.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#6]
OK, thats good enough for me...
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:42:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Might as well squirt Elmers Glue in your upper reciever.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#8]
WD-40 is NOT a lube. It is a SOLVENT. It is great for its intended purpose, Water Displacement (hint, now do you see where the WD comes from?).

There are so many other BETTER lubes, why use something for a purpose it was never designed for?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:54:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
WD-40 is NOT a lube. It is a SOLVENT. It is great for its intended purpose, Water Displacement (hint, now do you see where the WD comes from?).

There are so many other BETTER lubes, why use something for a purpose it was never designed for?

MacGyver in me?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MacGyver in me?

Nuff said
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:05:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MacGyver in me?

Nope, MacGyver used things to good effect.  WD40 would be good for flushing your gun after it took a dunk in a lake to get all the water out, followed by a flushing with a spray gun cleaner, then a thorough lubing with a lube that is made for actually lubricating.  WD 40 shouldn't be used to lube anything more stressful than a door hinge.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok Ok OK OK OK

I will not lubricate my guns with WD40

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
I did work great for my shotgun, after the dunking in the lake while hunting.  I did use scrubber and gun oil for the final lube.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#14]
yes I agree with previous posters,I use wd40 only now and then to disolve crud or water,but always follow with a lube.
Breakfree is crazy expensive if you buy the tiny pocket size bottles, (or worse yet the spray cans).I search around or mail order the 16oz bottle and pour it off into the small plastic bottles I buy at the gun show. I figgure it only costs 80 cents for a bottle the same size I would pay $4.95 in a small gun store. Kind of like going to a convienence store and buying a tiny box of soap powder for $3.95 that only does a couple of loads when you can go to the supermarket and buy a big box for $12 that does 60 loads. Sometimes it might be handy but it is a waste of money to do it all the time!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I clean my AR's with cheap carb cleaner and then I spray down the gun and internals with "SeaFoam" Deep Creep" spray lube. I love this stuff. W-D 40 is not for guns period. I do use it copiously on my saltwater fishing reels....I have had no problems with the SeaFoam and my guns always shoot great. Don't use carb cleaner on any painted guns such as the Vepr K or on grips that have been coated with a poly urethane finish.......Big problems.....
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Simple Green and Pledge - Lemon Scented.

Does a GREAT job!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:43:19 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Does a GREAT job!

Can't beat Afro Sheen and Summer's Eve!!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Slick 50?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Synthetic motor oil.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Does a GREAT job!

From what I understand simple green and aluminum is a REALLY BAD combo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does a GREAT job!

From what I understand simple green and aluminum is a REALLY BAD combo.

it is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Use it!

+1 i spray my mags too to keep the bullets feeding good.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#23]
It stips off the bluing off your weapon;
It gums up the parts; and
and it causes the steel to rust.

Other than that it is fine, so feel free to use it!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#24]
WD-40? Thats like using motor oil instead of KY. It might make YOU feel good, but use the right lubricant. You dont use saran wrap for a condom do you? Right tool for the right job I say.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Does a GREAT job!

Simple Green = Bad ju-ju.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/media/ashore/issues/winter00/fromourreaders.htm

From Our Readers...

Dear Editor:

The cleaning liquid Simple Green should not be used to clean aluminum equipment or parts because it is highly corrosive.

According to an article AVweb, a 3.5- gram aluminum alloy sample was immersed into a container of Simple Green. After one week, the sample was 295 milligrams lighter. The article further states that the Air Force issued a statement not to use Simple Green on Air Force equipment containing aluminum.

Thought you Navy folks would like to have this information.

MSgt. Larry Stulz
Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio

We appreciate your information about Simple Green. Lt. David Mims, head of the Occupational and Environmental Health Division here at the Safety Center, researched the Simple Green situation. He found that the Naval Air Warfare Center (NavAir) disapproved of the use of Simple Green for naval aviation in 1993. They have a documented incident of crazing of an F-18 canopy following the unauthorized use of Simple Green. According to an official at NavAir, they have tested the product at least three times since 1989. Simple Green fails sandwich corrosion and total immersion-corrosion tests for aluminum. That official also said NavAir recommended that commands remove Simple Green from their spaces. It's just too easy for someone who's told to clean something to grab a bottle of Simple Green off the shelf and use it on an airplane or equipment made of aluminum.-Ed.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It is great for its intended purpose, Water Displacement (hint, now do you see where the WD comes from?).

And just to complete that statement....

It took the inventor 40 tries to come up with a formula that he liked.  

Thus:  Water Displacement - 40th formula.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:24:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You dont use saran wrap for a condom do you?

Not anymore, No.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:38:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does a GREAT job!

Simple Green = Bad ju-ju.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/media/ashore/issues/winter00/fromourreaders.htm

From Our Readers...

Dear Editor:

The cleaning liquid Simple Green should not be used to clean aluminum equipment or parts because it is highly corrosive.

According to an article AVweb, a 3.5- gram aluminum alloy sample was immersed into a container of Simple Green. After one week, the sample was 295 milligrams lighter. The article further states that the Air Force issued a statement not to use Simple Green on Air Force equipment containing aluminum.

Thought you Navy folks would like to have this information.

MSgt. Larry Stulz
Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio

We appreciate your information about Simple Green. Lt. David Mims, head of the Occupational and Environmental Health Division here at the Safety Center, researched the Simple Green situation. He found that the Naval Air Warfare Center (NavAir) disapproved of the use of Simple Green for naval aviation in 1993. They have a documented incident of crazing of an F-18 canopy following the unauthorized use of Simple Green. According to an official at NavAir, they have tested the product at least three times since 1989. Simple Green fails sandwich corrosion and total immersion-corrosion tests for aluminum. That official also said NavAir recommended that commands remove Simple Green from their spaces. It's just too easy for someone who's told to clean something to grab a bottle of Simple Green off the shelf and use it on an airplane or equipment made of aluminum.-Ed.

Good thing we don't aluminium ships. We do have fiberglass minesweepers though  

Gene
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have not, but it seems more financially feasable than a 10 dollar can of CLP...Why don't you use it?

Why do you use it?

Any bad voodoo in wd-40?

WOW!!!

Not sure where you get yours, but I get the BIG can of CLP made by Remmington for like $3.95.  Shop around!

Travis
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#30]
WOW!!!

Not sure where you get yours, but I get the BIG can of CLP made by Remmington for like $3.95.  Shop around!

Travis

Are you takling about Rem Oil?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:06:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why do you use it?

Any bad voodoo in wd-40?

WOW!!!

Travis[/quot

Are you talking about Rem Oil?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you use it?

Any bad voodoo in wd-40?

WOW!!!

Travis

I guess I'm really lucky. I got 10 bottles of CLP for  F R E E  

Gene
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#33]
The only thing WD40 is good for is getting adhesive residue off of surfaces from stickers and such.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I did work great for my shotgun, after the dunking in the lake while hunting.  I did use scrubber and gun oil for the final lube.

hmmmm....underwater duck hunting.  Did you bump fire?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#35]
WD-40 eats rubber and everything else it comes in contact with.  On a windy day with some dust in the air you can write your name in the street with it
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Back in the old days, when cars had these things called "distributor caps", sometimes on a rainy day a shot of WD40 inside the cap could mean the difference between driving and walking. It hates water.  As a lube it's right up there with kerosene.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:40:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Back in the old days, when cars had these things called "distributor caps", sometimes on a rainy day a shot of WD40 inside the cap could mean the difference between driving and walking. It hates water.  As a lube it's right up there with kerosene.

I forgot about that.  Gettin old.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:37:37 PM EDT
[#38]
So what I am gathering from this thread is that I should spray all my ammo with WD-40 to prevent jamming at the feed ramps. head.gif
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:00:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It stips off the bluing off your weapon;
It gums up the parts; and
and it causes the steel to rust.

Other than that it is fine, so feel free to use it!

The AR/M16 isn't blued.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#40]
Use Break Free CLP, or Mobile 1. Been using both for 15+ years with no problems. Leave the WD-40 for the door hinges and sticker clean up. End of story!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:38:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Someone told me to use WD-40 to clean the chamber out when using laquer coated ammo, and then go behind it with your regular cleaning process. He said it helps remove laquer residue from the chamber. What are your thoughts on that?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:08:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Hello?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I once put WD-40 on a dime and two days later it was NICKLE!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Rather use KY that lasts for more cycles.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I once put WD-40 on a dime and two days later it was NICKLE!

Shit, I must have got some on my stock certificates around 2000-2001.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I once put WD-40 on a dime and two days later it was NICKLE!hr

Shit, I must have got some on my stock certificates around 2000-2001.  hr

Now that's funny!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#47]
When did BF become 10$ a bottle?
Though I like to use WD on my cap on my summer car after breakin her out after winter
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I never use WD40 for gun cleaning. When WD40 first apeared people used it to spay over guns to make it shine and remove prints. They found WD40 warped the wood stocks and removed blueing.  Each batch of WD40 is a bit different from the previous batch differing in thickness and ability to stay oily thin for a long time. Some batches will become thick faster and gum up the gun actions. Point = WD40 is not consistent batch to batch. I don`t use it on guns.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top