Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/1/2006 9:29:29 AM EDT
How is the Dewey Bore guide for the ar15/m16?  Does it get the job done or is there something else out there that does a better job for the price?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I was wondering the same thing.  Is it Dewey sufficient, or should I cut my losses and get the Sinclair?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
No offense but I would save your money.

Nobody seems to have a problem putting tight fitting, rifling engaged, 3000+ FPS pointy copper plated lead pills with 15000 psi of hot burning gas behind  them through their weapons as fast as one can flinch a finger.  

BUT a lot of people seem to be really bothered by passing a hand powered, sub-diameter, aluminum or brass cleaning rod, moving inches per minute, 10 or so times through their steel bore to clean it.  

Sorry, I don't get it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Nobody seems to have a problem putting tight fitting, rifling engaged, 3000+ FPS pointy copper plated lead pills with 15000 psi of hot burning gas behind  them through their weapons as fast as one can flinch a finger.  

BUT a lot of people seem to be really bothered by passing a hand powered, sub-diameter, aluminum or brass cleaning rod, moving inches per minute, 10 or so times through their steel bore to clean it.  

Sorry, I don't get it.

The whole bore guide thing is kind of blown out of proportion. Just use common sence and you will not damage the bore. I rarely use one and never have a problem!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Sorry, I don't get it.

+1
If it's a precision rig or a varmint then I can understand...  Otherwise...... I don't get it
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Sorry, I don't get it.

In my opinion, this is poor logic and you are missing the point.  Ever tried to scratch steel with copper or lead... or even raw aluminum.  Now, try scratching steel with anodized aluminum or sand (often hard as glass), some of the things found either on or imbedded in a cleaning rod, especially aluminum ones.  Raw aluminum has virtually nothing to do with damaging a bore, and aluminum is definitely not the only thing on those rods after a few uses.  In fact, IIRC, the aluminum itself crystalizes making a super hard coating.

That said, I think solid cleaning techniques and being careful around the crown add up to more than a bore guide.  But I use them for everything.  I have one for AR's and another universal for all my bolt guns.  It certainly doesn't hurt anything, and if nothing else, keeps you from buggering up your rod.  

Gundraw
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Funny you should say that since this is in fact for a 24" varmint rig.

I'm going to be using a nylon coated dewey rod, but I imagine it would make everything much easier with a bore guide.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Funny you should say that since this is in fact for a 24" varmint rig.

I'm going to be using a nylon coated dewey rod, but I imagine it would make everything much easier with a bore guide.

Not sure how much the dewey one is, but I bought a Delrin one from Sinclair and it wasn't too pricey.  Just do it and don't look back.  The initial investment sucks, but knowing you are taking care of your probably $1K investment, you'll get over it soon.... I know I did.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe the bore guide makes the cleaning job easier by helping you get the patch down the bore from the receiver end much quicker. Sometines the patch would come off before the chamber. It also helps keed the cleaning rod make a straight entry into the barrel extension. I dont think you would do significant damage without the guide but it doe make the job go faster. Hope this is helpful.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top