Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 12:09:23 PM EDT
How important is carbon build-up removal from the shoulder area "aft" of the gas rings (indicated by the red arrow) on an AR-15 bolt?

What is the safest and most expedient way to remove carbon deposits from this area of the bolt?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the safest and most expedient way to remove carbon deposits from this area of the bolt?

I usually just use an old bore brush to scrub it off. If it is worse, I scrape it off gently with a knife blade.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Couple drops of Kroil + Green scratchy pad = Good as new.

Weazer  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:47:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Honestly I realize folks want there rifle clean. But you really dont have to over do it. Just take some good powder solvent ( I use hoppes # 9  ) and wet the intire bolt ( stripped ) . Go about your other cleaning. Come back to it with a stiff bristle toothbrush ( USGI cleaning toothbrush ) and scrub it with it. What DON"T come off after that I wouldn't worry about. It will be just fine and will NOT cause you any problems at all. I used to over clean myself. I still care for my rifles after shooting them but don't go over board. Cheers wardawg
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#4]
soak in slip-2000. period. if thirty minutes won't work try sixty minutes, and so on. slip 2000 is incredible. there is no option b
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#5]
have your eyes closed when looking there.

I use a brass brush and fp-10 off in under 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I know that a perfect clean would be best, but I just clean it "very good".  I use Hoppes #9 with a toothbrush until I am satisfied it is pretty good, and I move on.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:34:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I drop it in my US cleaner with a little solvent

6 minutes later and it is cleaner than new.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the Ultrasonic cleaner.  If you ever want to get your BCG cleaner than when it was purchased from the store then try an ultrasonic cleaner.  Absolutely amazing.

If you are a reloader, it works wonders for cleaning brass too.

just DON'T EVER put anything aluminum in there.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Soak in something for half an hour? Just scrape it off.  If you're so worried about scrathcing it by using a knife or screwdriver, or whatever, get one of those brass tools.  The ones that have a bruh on one side, and the other looks sort of like a flat tip screwdriver. 30 seconds and you're done, if even that long.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Try this, best for the money. Follow up with CLP

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Gorge/4653/edsred.htm

Quoted:
How important is carbon build-up removal from the shoulder area "aft" of the gas rings (indicated by the red arrow) on an AR-15 bolt?

i38.photobucket.com/albums/e145/AustinPSD/ar-15-bolt.jpg

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Someone recommended soaking in Automatic Transmission Fluid, I tried it and the cabon came right off with a green abrasive pad.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top