Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2006 10:15:58 AM EDT
I bought an armalite m15a2 and the previous owner had neglected to clean it for a while.  I've cleaned the entire gun except the gas return system, which is saturated in gunk so I am not able to remove the gas tube.  I've removed the small pin and tried just about everything i have to get it off, but nothings happening.  Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I bought an armalite m15a2 and the previous owner had neglected to clean it for a while.  I've cleaned the entire gun except the gas return system, which is saturated in gunk so I am not able to remove the gas tube.  I've removed the small pin and tried just about everything i have to get it off, but nothings happening.  Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks.

Kroil and Gas tube tool.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Is it really necessary to clean the gas tube?  If you're going through the trouble of removing it, why not just replace it?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
the reason i want to clean it out is its not cycling very well, I'm getting some double feeds and sometimes its not getting the power to eject the brass.  I just thought I could take a pipe cleaner and clean some of the gunk out for better performance.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the reason i want to clean it out is its not cycling very well, I'm getting some double feeds and sometimes its not getting the power to eject the brass.  I just thought I could take a pipe cleaner and clean some of the gunk out for better performance.

I have had good luck with the Kroil and Gas Tube Tool.

If you don't have the tool I have seen a vice grip work but you have to be careful.  Try rocking the tube from side to side to break it free.  Some times it requires more force but they usually break free with a little persistence.  Soak it down good and let it sit overnight.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#5]
lightly grip tube with vice grips and tap the side of the grips away from the front sight base. works every time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:13:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Padded Vice jaws.

Clamp on the gas tube with the muzzle upwards.

Use a Lead Babbot or leather hammer and smack the front sight base downward.

If the Gas tube is clogged, it needs to be swapped out.

There is no pipe cleaner or wonder solvent out there that will cure a blocked gas tube.

It's rare, but blocked Gas tubes do happen

Forget reforming them, dump it and move on.

There may be other issues involved though.

FSB and Gas tap alignment comes to mind, as does gas Tap dimensions.

Gas tubes are cheap.

If the problem continues when using good ammo, you have other issues.

S-28
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]
the gastube tool from bushy really makes things easy
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top