Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/21/2006 9:44:35 AM EDT
I'm still relatively new to AR's, and I'm not exactly sure how much to oil them. I know this is a topic which personal preference has a little to do with, but please let me know what you oil. After a regular cleaning, how much oil should i use, and where are the different places to oil? Pics that show how much oil, and where you put it would be appreciated. I watched an armorer video course, but it really didn't show me this in depth. Thanks guys. Scott
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Why did you just ask the exact same question that has already been answered in the other post started by you?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought I might have it in the wrong part of the forum, sorry
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Give the kid a break-he's trying to learn..
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:04:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Everybody pile on the newbie!
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I am also new to ARs and I am wondering the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#6]
you will make more newbie mistakes if like me this is the first and only forum i've ever participated in.  it takes a while to figure it out.  Don't take the jabs too seriously like i did in the begining.  Most are just kidding.  There are some real a holes around though.  If you encounter those just don't respond.  Like little kids if you ignore their pleas for attention they stop whining.  Oh and i hope your spelling is better than mine.
I never would have guessed that gun enthusiasts were such amazing spellers.  But they are so watch out.
lobsta
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:43:35 AM EDT
[#7]
When I was in the guard, just before range fire we used to "Hose" it down, all moving parts with CLP!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Like you said, opinions vary.  After cleaning everything, I hose down the entire carrier assy with CLP and reinstall. Haven't had a problem yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually clean with Hoppe's #9 and then relube after cleaning with Hoppe's gun oil.   I don't coat things very heavily.   The lugs on the bolt get a fairly heavy coat of lube (more than just a wipe with an oily fingertip.  I put a drop in the gas tube on the carrier.  A drop in the extractor lip while holding it "open" with my thumb (since I don't often take the extractor off during cleaning).

The whole outside of the bolt assembly gets a fingertip covered with oil treatment, as does the inside of the bolt carier.   The firing pin itself gets a fairly heavy coat of oil.    The whole outside of the carrier group gets a very light coat of oil prior to reassembly ...  the rails on the bottom usually get a little extra.  The charging handle also gets a very light coat.

The lower gets a very light spray of CLP.

Since your definition of "light", "heavy", etc are probably going to differ from mine at least a little bit my advice is to lube as lightly as possible to prevent rust between shootings in your area.   A good test is the first couple of rounds downrage...  If there are oil spots on your shooting glasses then you've lubed too much
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#10]
You will know after you get to breath vaporized CLP from around the charging handle when shooting.If its oozing out you are using to much.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Regular gun oil like hoppe's will burn off your bolt and cam pin if you fire very many rnds at all. Use Break Free CLP for cleaning your upper receiver and bolt carrier group. Sop it down pretty good after cleaning and put your weapon away. In a day or two wipe off all the clp that migrated out of your gun and open it up and wipe all the excess off the rim of your receivers and buffer face. CLP is messy because it runs out and moves around but is the only thing I have found that can take the heat of the direct impigment fire ball that comes through the gas tube into the carrier.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top