Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:34:21 AM EDT
Has anyone here used the Black and Decker Workmate bench for your ARs? I have limitede space and just inherited one from a neighbor. Wondering if it is sturdy enough for holding rifle for general work as well as for, I hope soon, my first build. Any input always appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#1]
It should work fine for you.  I use a vise on a fixed workbench for my AR work, but I do use a Workmate for many other projects.  It is a very stable platform.  Just clamp a good bench vise to it, and you will be ready to go.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
what keeps the workbench from tipiing over when doing barrel work?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Set the vise up so you torque the barrel into the stand (toward the center of the stand), and you should have no problems.

Few things in life are perfect.  But if that is all you have, you should be able to get by with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Has anyone here used the Black and Decker Workmate bench for your ARs? I have limitede space and just inherited one from a neighbor. Wondering if it is sturdy enough for holding rifle for general work as well as for, I hope soon, my first build. Any input always appreciated.

You can turn any table into a cleaning bench with one of our cleaning stands. CHeck out item PPAR-12. It has a barrel rest and a parts tray to keep all your parts in check and keeps solvents off your table.

www.plastixplustx.com/ar15/ar15.html

Mike
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys. The barrel question was my biggest concern. I just watched, again , my new Bushmaster armorers CD and have decided, as money allows, to build my own. Using any piece of the wife's furniture for this is just not an option so the workmate seemed like a decent compromise.
Now it looks like I need to do a little research on parts and start socking away that spare change.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#6]
i use a somewhat small work bench with a vise mounted to it.

assembled it and worked out all the angles in which torque would cause and "rigged" it together.

assemble its first upper as a trial and it worked flawlessly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#7]
+1 for the plastix plus stands, good for cleaning or display.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top