Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/10/2006 8:58:05 PM EDT
First question:
Can you clean a chrome moly lined barrel like any other? I am new to AR's and am getting a RRA Entry with the chrome lined barrel. Can I use the wire bronze brush on it? Any cleaners that cant be used? Any recommendations on what cleaner to use?

Second Question:
Is BreakFree CLP a good lubrication on an AR or should I be using something else?

Sorry if these questions have already been asked. I tried searching for them but must have been searching wrong. Obviously I am new and this site has been a wealth of information. I just want to make sure I dont make some stupid mistake and overlook the obvious and screw up my weapon.

Thanks!!!!
JP
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
First question:
Can you clean a chrome moly lined barrel like any other?

Yes.  But your nomenclature is a bit off.  Barrels are either made of stainless steel, or chrome moly steel.   Chrome moly barrels are either chrome lined, or unlined.  So when referring to a chrome lined barrel, just say "chrome lined".  It isnt lined with chrome moly.... it is lined with chrome.  It is made of chrome moly.

I am new to AR's

Read the manual.  

www.ar15.com/content/

and am getting a RRA Entry with the chrome lined barrel. Can I use the wire bronze brush on it? Any cleaners that cant be used? Any recommendations on what cleaner to use?

Clean it per the TM (link above)  Chrome lined barrels are tough.  Bronze brushes are fine.  All you need to use is CLP.  If you decied to use a heavy copper remove at any point... just dont let it sit too long.  But as stated, for that type of weapon.... all you need is CLP.  Per the TM.

Second Question:
Is BreakFree CLP a good lubrication on an AR or should I be using something else?

See above.  Breakfree is a good brand.

Sorry if these questions have already been asked. I tried searching for them but must have been searching wrong. Obviously I am new and this site has been a wealth of information. I just want to make sure I dont make some stupid mistake and overlook the obvious and screw up my weapon.

Thanks!!!!
JP

No problemo.  Read, read, then read some more.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok so its "chrome lined"...got it! Thanks for the info and the link!! This is what I am talking about...helpful members! Again, thank you!! Worried I was gonna get flamed....I was worried a wire brush would screw up a chrome lined barrel. Again being new I dont really understand the whole chrome lined barrel thing anyway but it was an included option (usually $35-40 bucks I believe according to RRA's website) already on the RRA.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:15:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Chrome is good.  It adds a layer of very hard protection to the chamber and barrel - it prolongs the life of the barrel and eases extraction.  It also can take a bit more abuse than an unlined barrel.  Good to go.

What part of Texas are you in?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:36:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I am in DFW.....and your right....I remember my dealer telling me that about chrome lined barrels. Dealing with Mooney's in Round Rock. That guy has been VERY helpful!!

JP
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Mooney's is GREAT people.

Come join us at the next shoot or DFW dinner.  It will be posted in the Texas Hometown forums.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#6]
BF CLP is the only stuff I'd use and recommend for lubrication and protection (it's OK as a cleaner). FN Herstal recommends Mil-Spec CLP for the P90/PS90.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Breakfree CLP is pretty much identical to the LSA oil that the DoD uses, so that's your best bet as far as lube goes.

you're fine with a bronze brush in the barrel.  as has been stated before, chrome is REALLY tough and can take a beating.  Your rifle should come with a USGI cleaning kit (I'm pretty sure RRA includes it, i know bushie and DPMS do)

good luck and congrats on your first case of BRD (look it up)  you're going to have a GREAT TIME
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#8]
break free clp = USGI CLP, not LSA.

Breakfree meets the mil-spec for CLP, not LSA. Even though Royco is the current lowest bidder.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks, i stand corrected
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top