Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2005 6:56:40 PM EDT
SEBR is coming, my first NEW AR-15, is there a link for

1. proper procedures to break-in a new barrel?

2. is using cheap "wolf" ammo bad for a new barrel? does it matter?

thanks
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Just be sure to clean the barrell BEFORE you first shoot it. Then I don't think it matter what you shoot through it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#2]
on chrome barrel, clean first then shoot 500 rounds then clean. ss or chrommolly do not require a break in.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like to volunteer to break it in for you if you aren't up to the task.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for all reply and links. It  just confused the matter more  !!

how do you "tell" when the barrel is broken in?  does it shoot different? clean different (something I read about the fouling will be LESS??)..

It's like having your first child, you want to give him a good start.. (rather than " just shoot it")-the barrel that is, not the baby!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
just shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I did a google search for "barrel break in".  Don't do that unless you just want to be more confused.  Some pages talk about conditioning the metal, others talk about making the barrel easier to clean in the long run, others talk about making a newly cut but rough throat smooth.  Just as many opinions as there are 's.  Ford Vs Chevy, anyone?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
how do you "tell" when the barrel is broken in?  does it shoot different? clean different (something I read about the fouling will be LESS??)..

Does this help at all?
Barrel Break In Article
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
just shoot it.

And then shoot it some more
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does this help at all?
Barrel Break In Article

thank you for the link. I have concluded after posting this question and reading the replies... you have the one extreme, then the other,  and all the shades of greys.. pick one!

for me, since I'm getting a new SEBR, I might as well treat it nice from the beginning. If it would of been a used one, just shoot it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:27:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
just shoot it.

And then shoot it until it smokes.  After that, it's broken in.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
just shoot it.

And then shoot it until it smokes.  After that, it's broken in.

no you have to melt the handguards alittle bit for it to be broken in
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#13]
To add one more voice to the chorus, just shoot the friggin' thing!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#14]
i was under the impression that chrome lined barrels didn't need to be broken in, and in fact, cleaning them too much in hte beginning just makes it a longer task for chrome lined barrel break-in

ive read shooting through the gun polishes the inside of your chrome lined barrel, and if you clean, it takes longer for this process to take place
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I load up 500 rounds and fire them all. If it doesnt malfunction, I clean the lugs and chamber, the bolt carrier group and wipe out the upper with a paper towel, lube and call it good.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:31:48 AM EDT
[#16]
When I got my new barrels the first thing I did was clean them thoroughly to rid them of factory oils and dust and metals filings and other things that go *crick* in the night.

Then I shot several magazines through them without cleaning in between magazine changes.

Clean it first and then go Whoopee.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top