Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/23/2005 12:44:29 PM EDT
Any suggestion would be appreciated.....I'm tired of holding the AR while cleaning the bore.  If any of you use a rifle rest to clean your AR, give me some suggestions so I can add it to my list for Santa .

mh
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I use this stand made by MTM.

Link Posted: 11/23/2005 4:12:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Tipton's BEST looks decent ($99), I'm sure you've seen it advertised in flyers. (I have their cheaper cleaning rest, and it works well with bolt guns but not ARs... the BEST rest looks like it should work well with ARs).

For cleaning ARs, I usually separate the upper and lower. This is frowned upon by a gunnery sargeant I know, but I just find it easier to clean the upper without the lower attached. Since my AR is a varmint-type gun, it has a bipod. I lock a bore guide into the upper, extend the bipod, and clean with the upper resting on the bipod,

Sinclair offers a couple of muzzle attachments which are great for preventing solvent splatter from  brush bristles as they exit the muzzle. One appears to be designed to collect patches as they fall from the Dewey Jag system and can collect patches as they drop.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the MTM as well. I think it was around $30-$35. It is pretty handy for cleaning and working on guns. I once tried to use at as a rest for a 7mm-08, but that wasn't the best idea I ever had. It is lightweight and compact, and is excellent for cleaning, but it is way to light and unstable to be used as a shooting rest (they advertise it as dual use).  
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can wait...

Next week I will start selling a solid oak (with automotive lacquer sealer - very durable stuff) cleaning stand.  It will be functional, durable, and looking good.    We will also offer in custom stains and other woods (cherry, walnut, purpleheart wood, etc.) at additional cost.  I can give you more details if you e-mail me back.  Price will be $40 (+ship).

We will also be doing a 4-rifle mounting rack in solid wood for around $45 (+ship).

Should see pics and ads on EE starting last half of next week.  I have hooked up with Tim at Tactical Supplies for orders and marketing.  We will be doing tests nest week to see how stable it will be for doing heavy work (barreling and stock changes).  Should definitely be very stable for cleaning and light maintenance.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I just got an upper receiver block made by PRI from MSTN.  The block goes in a vise, and then the upper attaches to the block via the take down and pivot pins.  It firmly holds the upper for cleaning.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For cleaning ARs, I usually separate the upper and lower. This is frowned upon by a gunnery sargeant I know, but I just find it easier to clean the upper without the lower attached.

Just curious, why does your Gunnery Sargeant  frown upon that practice?  Does the front hole/pin wear any quicker than the rear?

BTW, I use a MTM.  It works well enough but it's not perfect.  What I do find useful are a good fitting bore guide and that delrin link thingy that Sinclair sells that pivots the upper up/muzzle down.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the good replys fellas.  I do use a bore guide and a "thingy" (forgot what it's called)  that keeps the upper open but attaches to the take-down pin of the lower.  The MTM looks like a good inexpensive option.  I just need a good stable cleaning rack and don't plan to use it as a shooting stand.  

Hayseed,  I look forward to seeing what you are building.  LMK when you post some pics.  I'm interested and still going over my options.

Thanks
Mkie
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
For cleaning ARs, I usually separate the upper and lower. This is frowned upon by a gunnery sargeant I know, but I just find it easier to clean the upper without the lower attached.

Just curious, why does your Gunnery Sargeant  frown upon that practice?  Does the front hole/pin wear any quicker than the rear?  

I think you're correct, his concern was damage to the front pivot. This was Dave_G, btw. I don't know if you remember his posts at this forum, he was a moderator for the maintenance and cleaning forum for a while. Dave_G should be remembered as the guy that corrected the AR-10 failure to extract problems which plagued the early AR-10s. Mine was the first AR-10 to receive his fix (two Armforte D-rings around the extractor spring). I think ArmaLite's "O-ring" owes it's existence to Dave_G. Anyway, I heed most of Dave_G's words, but as far as the front pivot is concerned, I think I'll be long extinct before it gets significant damage by separating the upper and lower during cleaning.  Oh, and Dave_G called me "another shooter," at the ArmaLite forum (I think) when he reported the success of the D ring fix in three AR-10s.

Such warm memories![
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]
This and the bench vise.

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
This and the bench vise.

i22.photobucket.com/albums/b317/demusn79/th_Im000570.jpg

I use a old 30rnd mag and filled it full of epoxy. works great and cheap too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been using the stand from Plastics Plus, industry forum,i don't know how i got along without one. It is great for scope mounting also. Best $35.00 i have spent in a long time.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Check this out on EE:

EE Linky

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Hayseed...that loks way too nice to get all messed up with cleaners etc....very nice!
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the compliment.

Yeah, they look great.  I expect them to wear pretty well if taken to care and wiped off quickly.  It adds class to the rifle I think.  I will get a walnut for my own display - it will be twice the price but looks sweet.  Making a slight change to make it more friendly on longer rifles.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I use a "Bore snake" for field cleaning, works great! But for get down and real dirty jobs, I still use my "Dewey cleaning rod!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:30:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Tipton's BEST looks decent ($99. That is what I use works great on all weapons. You can bolt it down too. hug.gif     http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=110829
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:15:12 AM EDT
[#18]
plastixplus makes some nice ones that wont be harmed by cleaning solvents and what not.

teknic sells them for plastixplus here
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:27:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Hire a Midget.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hire a Midget.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hire a Midget.

They only work short hours, though.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
plastixplus makes some nice ones that wont be harmed by cleaning solvents and what not.

teknic sells them for plastixplus here

I have heard things about certain cleaners attacking and softening plastics.  Have not verified.

The plastixplus do look functional and well built.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top