Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 9:34:54 AM EDT
What do you use to heat up a screw held in place by blue lock-tite si I don't destroy my optic? Some sort of heat gun, but what?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never had a loctited screw not unloosen when applied with normal deliberate force with screwdriver
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Blue loctite should not require heat in order to loosen. It is the red that requires heat.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#3]
can't remember what I used, but if I put any more pressure on these screws they will strip. Might have used red. I'm going to have to get a heat gun from Grainger I guess. I lock-tite the crap out of stuff because I;ve had stuff come loose at the wrong time. I just have hell getting them back off.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Blue loctite should not require heat in order to loosen. It is the red that requires heat.

is that the color of the tube or the liquid?  I got a red tube with blue liquid
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

is that the color of the tube or the liquid?  I got a red tube with blue liquid

It is the color of the liquid.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
can't remember what I used, but if I put any more pressure on these screws they will strip. Might have used red. I'm going to have to get a heat gun from Grainger I guess. I lock-tite the crap out of stuff because I;ve had stuff come loose at the wrong time. I just have hell getting them back off.

There is no problem with using loctite, just make sure you use the right loctite for the correct application. With very small screws, using red is usually not a good thing. Think of it this way, blue is for "temporary" whereas red is usually "permanant".

With scopes I use blue on the base screws. I have seen red used, but that requires adding heat and you really do not want to do this. Blue will work just fine.

There are MANY types of loctite. Wicking, thread locker, blue, red, etc., etc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
www.loctiteproducts.com/questions.asp?answerme=125#cat125

Blue:  Can be removed with hand tools
Red:  Apply heat to remove
Green:   Apply heat to remove

Google 3 seconds

dont go buy a heat gun if you already have a soldering iron. Just lay the tip on the screw for a minute or so(depends on the watts of the iron and the size of the screw how long you leave it in the screw).
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#8]
 Can using "blue" over and over in the same spot cause any issues after a while?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:48:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hope this helps: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=392380

Thank-you for the reply.  However, I think this only refers to red.  The other threads say that red needs heat where as blue needs a strong twist.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#11]
i know for a fact the red tube with blue liquid does not need heat, easy as pie to unscrew
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Hold a soldering iron to the head of the screw.  It will heat the screw and not your optic.  I'd be carefull using a heat gun.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top