Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2005 2:13:07 PM EDT
I recently ordered a Larue 7.0 rail and have no experience with any rails at all and was wondering what the cleaning process is for the barrel under these rails since i dont think they are supposed to be removable. Dunno, looking for some insight on rails and cleaning.

Thanks in advance

Red
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about the barrel, especially underneath the handguards. The inside of the barrel is more important.

As far as the rail is concerned, I usually wipe my KAC rail down with a rag during my cleaning sessions. It may or may not have CLP on it, I do stay away from spraying brake cleaner or any degreaser on my rails. Not sure if it would even hurt it, but then again, they aren't usually that dirty.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive just never used or seen rails up close before, although ive been around AR's for about 8 years. I just dont know what to watch out for, if dirt get under the rails or whatever, how to clean it out, what to use, and so on.

Im totally new to rails, and havent even recieved my upper yet to inspect it and speculate on the do's and dont's.

Any advice would be a great help since im just starting the learning process on them.

Thanks for the input !

Red
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't worry too much about debris getting up in there. The rails are vented and loose debris will make its way out. Unless you are going to be dragging your rifle through a mud pit or going to war, the rails and the barrel will remain pretty damn clean.

Good luck with the new rail and upper

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#4]

i cant wait :)
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#5]
i shoot mine at a range that recycles its clay skeet onto the walking area so a lot of the clay dusk gets kicked up and the occasional throwing of the rifle. that stuff gets stuck so to speak to the barrel and if i were to wipe down the exposed barrel i could see the difference/dirtiness of the barrel under the handfguards

i just spray it with some brake clean and go about my business if i can reach it to re-oil then i do, either with the tube on the clp bottle or a rag
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Brake cleaner will work fine for cleaning out carbon, dirt and other build up under the handguards.  Just remeber to oil the barrel afterwards.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Dirt under the handguards?  You're worried about dirt under the handguards?

IT IS A WEAPON!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dirt under the handguards?  You're worried about dirt under the handguards?

IT IS A WEAPON!

Um, yea, i worry about dirt under the handguards when i put it away after shooting...

BECAUSE IM NOT A SLOB AND NEITHER IS MY WEAPON !
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top