Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:25:55 PM EDT
Hello, I have been shooting alot of moly coated bullets and have quite a few left to shoot.

I am using Hoppes elite, M-Pro 7 Bore gel, and Hoppes No. 9 for my solvents. I am wondering if these will be removing moly-coating from the barrel? I shoot CT BST, Barnes X, BH and Hornady moly coated bullets.

Some of my barrels are chrome lined or plated, some are SS, asome are chromoly. I usually let bore gel or Hoppes elite sok in for about 5-10 mins before scrubbing. I am no expert but they look clean with the use of a light and my dry patches come out clean.

I was thinking if I the products I am using do not remove moly, adding Kroil to cleaning supplies.

Suggestions, opinions, and information all appreciated.

I would like to know why some guys wont dare shoot a moly bullet also??
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
MEK aka Methyl Ethyl Keytone, removes molly  real fast.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Kroil and JB paste is the classic moly cleanup regement.  I don't think any of your other cleaners will effectively remove moly from the barrel.  Hoppes elite might, mpro-7 bore gel won't, Hoppes won't.

Here is a good article about moly cleanup (pdf): www.zediker.com/articles/mcc.pdf
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are continuing to shoot moly, you really don't want to remove it all from the bore - that would mean you'd need 6-12 fouling shots before your zero would be re-established.  I shoot moly and my routine bore cleaning (after every firing) is to use two patches wet with Kroil followed by 2 dry patches.  Every 500 rounds or so I do a deep cleaning: 1 patch with Hoppes' #9, 1 dry patch, 10 passes with a bronze brush and Sweet's 7.62 allowing 15 minutes to soak, 10 strokes each with 2 patches of JB bore compound, a shot of brake cleaner through the gas tube to remove any JB from the gas port, one patch wet with Kroil, one dry patch, 10 strokes each with 2 patches of Midway Moly Prep, and one dry patch.  With either method the first shot is in the group.  I use stainless barrels so no corrosion inhibitor is needed, but chromoly barrels would need one such as CLP.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:28:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help guys. First I would like to thank ronemus and warren-hpf for the tips on the removal and acuuracy issues, I would like to thank you all for the reply to the thread.

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top