Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 8:51:28 PM EDT
I built a new AR.  I don't believe I lubed the inside of the buffer tube or the recoil spring.  It makes quite a racket upon cycling so I think it could use some lube.  Page 31 of TM9-1005-319-10.pdf says "light lube".  

What do you use for lube of inside of buffer tube, recoil spring and buffer?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
i would just lightly wipe the spring with clp.
more of preventive maintenance than quieting it, you dont want too much stuff on it since it will attract dirt
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:04:07 AM EDT
[#2]
In the buffer tube i use a finger full of grease PL-10, but any NGI No. 2 grease will work. It gets rid of the rattle.  Is it needed no, not recomended in any kind of winter use (less the 32°F).  A match gun or range only rifle I would use grease in.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
In the buffer tube i use a finger full of grease PL-10, but any NGI No. 2 grease will work. It gets rid of the rattle.  Is it needed no, not recomended in any kind of winter use (less the 32°F).  A match gun or range only rifle I would use grease in.

that makes for a big mess along with gunking. but as always ymmv
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#4]
The cycling action of this recently built AR has not been smooth.  I've put a few hundred rounds through it and it's had some FTFs.  It makes a rasping sound when the bolt is manually cycled.  I think the very dry tube was adding to the prob.  I ran a light to moderately oiled rag around in the tube and it drank some up such that it's ightly oiled now.  It seems to have helped with the noise at least.  I'm headed to the range now with the new build and an older Bushy to see how they compare and to further break this thing in.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah last 1/2 inch of the carrier gets a little grease on it.  besides I have noticed no other problems.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#6]
It worked! (i.e. the light oil inside the tube).  No FTFs and smooth cycling for over 250 rds today at the range.  

Now on to locktiteing the buffer tube and aimpoint mount, then a little more fine tuning on the zeroing and this build will be done.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I would just grease the threads on the buffer tube. no need for thread locker there.  Makes it easier when you want to remove the buffer tube and install something else.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:49:24 PM EDT
[#8]
In my experience the buffer spring will get quieter with use.  If the spring is the loudest thing on your rifle you must have a sound suppressor for it to actually be a serious problem.

Shoot it!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It worked! (i.e. the light oil inside the tube).  No FTFs and smooth cycling for over 250 rds today at the range.  

Now on to locktiteing the buffer tube and aimpoint mount, then a little more fine tuning on the zeroing and this build will be done.  

I'm not sure the oil is what did it. Have you considered that you just "broke it  in" and it is now functioning smoothly. My Colt has always ran "dry" on the buffer tube and spring and have never had ANY problems or noise. I read that this assembly wants to run dry, or at least with minimal amount of lube like CLP.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:20:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Tetra Gun Grease on my spring -- coat the spring, all the way along quite liberaly and re-insert it, it soon re-distributes itself inside the buffer tube.

Quietened my spring down quite nicely.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top