Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 5:52:29 PM EDT
I am building my first AR-15 and would like to buy a cleaning stuff for it.
   1.  Is a 22-26 caliber rod the best choice and not 17-20 cal?
   2.  Should I go with Dewey, the big dog?  The Tipton carbon fiber rods gets good reviews at Midwayusa.
   3. Will a carbon fiber rod not damage the barrel crown, or is that possible with any rod?
   4. Any recommendations on a good chamber brush?
   5. What type of bore guide is best?

Please chime in with any thoughts. Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:50:08 AM EDT
[#1]

1. you want the largest dia rod that will fit for greater restiance to bending.

2. I like the dewy cleaning rods, the ones with the Male threads.

3. it is possible to damage the crown with any rod, the less sections you have the less chance of damage.

4. USGI is the best out there, I also like those chamber stars for mopping up when I am done cleaning.

5. Dewy makes a good one, there are others. you deffentily need a bore guide. Some get ones with a solvent port.

6. bore snake is ok for removing excessive oil before you go shooting. I personally do not see them cleaning as well as a soild rod. They do work for a quick and dirty but  are not the best option out there.

ymmv
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget your Plastix Plus cleaning stand!!!!

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=25&t=292244

Quoted:
I am building my first AR-15 and would like to buy a cleaning stuff for it.
   1.  Is a 22-26 caliber rod the best choice and not 17-20 cal?
   2.  Should I go with Dewey, the big dog?  The Tipton carbon fiber rods gets good reviews at Midwayusa.
   3. Will a carbon fiber rod not damage the barrel crown, or is that possible with any rod?
   4. Any recommendations on a good chamber brush?
   5. What type of bore guide is best?

Please chime in with any thoughts. Thank you!

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top