Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2005 3:59:20 PM EDT
I read the barrel break-in guide that is posted in the do-it-yourself forum.  The article didn't mention the use of a brush through the barrel only a patch.  If I use a boresnake between the first several shots would that dammage the barrel in any way?  Do any of the AR15 veterans here use a boresnake as their main method of cleaning?

Thanks,
Ben
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Barrel break in is kind of a myth. Some practice it and some don't. I never "broke" in a new barrel and my AR's will shoot less then inch groups at 100 yards.

I say just shoot it!

Bore snakes work ok but do ZERO to remove metal fouling lie copper and lead pressed into the poors of the steel. Use a good bronz/nylon brush with copper solvent, a good rod and a tight jag and that will clean it up like a mirror! Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 12:11:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't really break in my barrels, but for chrome lined barrels, I believe you are supposed to just shoot the things for at least 100 rounds before you clean. Something about smoothing the chrome or something.

I don't own any non-chromed AR's so I'm not sure about those.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:37:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Barrel break in is not really to break in the barrel rifling but rather to break in the throat area where the barrel was chambered.  There is a sharp edge where the reamer stopped cutting that will remove quite a bit of jacketing at first.  That removed material will be in a plasma form under the high heat and pressure and will be deposited in large amounts until this area is "broke in".  It is not necessary, but if you are looking for the best accuracy and barrel longivity that your barrel can provide you, then break in is not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Barrel breakin is horseshit! These are not bench rest rifles and there were very accurate rifles long before any such nonsense was thought of.

An AR is meant to be shot, not babied.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:15:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Shoot that shit, but what do I know...  I've only got around 250 rounds through my first AR!

Shit, I just noticed that I surpassed 100 posts     JJ, who gives a shit anyway!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#6]
AMEN!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Break in is for non chrome lined match bbls. If you have a chrome lined bore just shoot the hell out of it and clean it when you get home. Thats all the break in you need. Non chrome I would say put 100rds or so through it then clean it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#8]
There is an excelent article HERE

In it,  a couple barrel makers say that barrel break in is a myth.
They also say that they put paperwork in with their barrels that recommend break in (cleaning OFTEN for the first 100 rounds).  They do this because is wears the barrel faster, and increases their buisness accordingly.

Aslo, on Chrome lined barrels its recomended to shoot 200 rounds before cleaning.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top