Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2005 6:28:12 PM EDT
I know this is a no-no but while I had my upper and lower separated from my Bushmaster I accidentally dropped the hammer.   What parts could this damage if any?  I know this is no good to do with pretty much any gun while it is dissassembled.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#1]
once, no problem just don't make a habit out of it
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing is hurt. Look at the receiver and hammer if you're unsure, and everything should be fine. Just don't get in the habit of doing that.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in no way an expert, but I can tell you it ain't gonna kill the weapon or it's functionality. I've done it 100 times. Just don't make a habbit of it.

P.S.- relax, these guns are built tough.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm in no way an expert, but I can tell you it ain't gonna kill the weapon or it's functionality. I've done it 100 times. Just don't make a habbit of it.

P.S.- relax, these guns are built tough.

why?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#5]
i wouldnt dry fire a lower without an upper.
accidently happened a few times, one time breaking the bolt catch and the other cracking the top of the hammer off of a rra 2stage.

the reciever would also be taking the beating at the bolt catch area
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:17:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I dry fire a lower sometimes when cleaning but always control the hammer snap.  Basically, hold the hammer, pull the trigger and let the hammer up slowly.

I've been told this is bad for my springs but it seems better than letting the hammer slam.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#7]
The best way to prevent it is after you clear your rifle, drop the hammer before disassembling it.  If you must cock the hammer or if you forgot to drop the hammer after you have separated the upper and lower receivers, put the selector in "safe."

Doing it once wouldn't hurt the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Joe has done this to every M16 in the army probably 10,000 times.  They usually still go bang.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:46:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I dry fire a lower sometimes when cleaning but always control the hammer snap.  Basically, hold the hammer, pull the trigger and let the hammer up slowly.

I've been told this is bad for my springs but it seems better than letting the hammer slam.

It's not the springs that are at risk, it's the bolt catch/release that could break.  It would take a lot to actually break it though, and even if it does, it's easy to replace.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 2:10:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not the springs that are at risk, it's the bolt catch/release that could break.  It would take a lot to actually break it though, and even if it does, it's easy to replace.

I broke the bolt catch on an Oly doing this once.   It snapped off the button of all things  It's nowhere close to where the hammer hits either
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top