Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 4:55:17 PM EDT
just courious to know how it works?

thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:00:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a search.  It's been covered.  Look on page 2 of the cleaning forum.

I like it and use it for lube only.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
rgr thanks i must have missed it because i looked there
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yup, do a little search and you can read a ton on this oil. In short it has zero rust protection, about 50% like it and 50% hate it.

I feel there are much better oils on the market.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:35:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Do a search.  It's been covered.  Look on page 2 of the cleaning forum.

I like it and use it for lube only.

Exactly.  Lube only prior to a range session.  

I have an ample supply of LSA, CLP, and Mobil synthetic too.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I use MILITEC-1 on everything, I lube as directed and then use a q-tip on all other reachable areas for some extra viscosity. Works awesome!!! I use it exclusively now and haven't looked elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:59:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Same results I found with my own testing

Gun Zone Tests
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Been using Militec for quite a while now. Excellant product. Rather pricey but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, do a little search and you can read a ton on this oil. In short it has zero rust protection, about 50% like it and 50% hate it.

I feel there are much better oils on the market.

yep sucks as a protectant and cleaner but they state as much on their site more or less.  I think it's hard to beat as a lube which in dry environs is really all you need.  I used to worry about all the different products on the market and caring for my personal AR's but after being in the Mil for  some time I learned better.  It's rather difficult to rust out an AR unless your in ver wet conditions IMO.

I think one of the biggest problems for gun owners is the instinctual habit of over lubing weapons
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:29:17 PM EDT
[#9]
"MILITEC-1 is ideal for firearms that are exposed to harsh weather conditions. After proper application, a light coat of MILITEC-1 is highly corrosion resistant - approximately three times more effective in preventing rust than MilSpec CLP."

It has been proven on ar-15 and other places time and time again that mil-tec  is 3 times less effective at preventing rust than std CLP.

There better oils out there that will reduce friction and prevent rust.

Do trust all that you read on the mil-tec place, there is a lot of bull pucky going off there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The war in the desert is bringing out quite a few vendors with gun cleaning/lube related products. CLP, when used properly, actually doesn't attract much dust. It isn't dust repellent, but I used CLP in an area of my vehicle that is prone to collecting sand, dirt, salt, etc... and I noticed that it was relatively clean even after a few days of driving. Improper training is what results in the media-hyped M16 "jams". The AR-15 can run relatively dry.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Metroplex,

Thanks!

Given dilligent attention to the rifle, plain old Valvoline 10W30 will be sufficient.

The ass maggots trying to make a buck cloud the issue.

Reduce the discipline, and attention to the important issues of survival, then CLP and any other product will fail.

My Beef with Militec is that they are cashing in on the blood of OUR fallen.

Granted, the stuff works as well as Wesson oil.

Militec and their people in my eye's, deserve a rather warm corner of hell.

The same for our Generals that decided that weapons Maint. for supporting arms need not be a focus.

The day that EVERY MOS be a rifleman first, is needed and obvious.

The fact that Civvie pukes are profiting just flat hurts.

No time, no room, no love.

S-28  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
S-28 don't hold back tell us how you really feel.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep,  Militecs promotional style leaves alot to be desired.  I'm no lubricant analyst but I can say with confidence that everything on the market I've used works about the same lubewise.  Nothing has ever caused a malf nor allowed my rifles to function poorly.  S28 hit most of the issues right on.

If your in the Military you can get free militec through their website.  Any size bottle you want.  I couldnt pass that up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#14]
They only thing I ever noticed is that it evaporates quickly. Militec calls this "thermal-bonding" or whatever, and would lead you to believe that the lube is still working even though you can't see it anymore. I believe this is contrary to common sense - even teflon coating leaves a shiny, slick appearance.

I do like how their webpage provides a link to every government agency that issues firearms - frickin' hilarious.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#15]
All lubes evaporate and leave behind the necessary stuff.  Teflon is shiny because the entire film stays put ie. pots and pans, etc.

Metal is far more porous than appears.  If you took a bolt and put it under the appropriate microscope it would look like a mountain range.  The lube gets in these pores and stays there, whether it's clp, militec, whatever.  Of course it has to be cleaned and replaced over time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been using militec on my beretta pistol for years.... Its a lube not a cleaner -- for cleaning I use m-pro7.

I've put about 6000-8000 rounds through it and the finish looks as good as new and the gun is as smooth as it ever was.

Never had a single failure to feed (it is a berretta though so this is expected he
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#17]
My friend used it in Iraq.  He said it was good stuff so I might try it sometime.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]
i was under the impression that militec was more of a metal CONDITIONER, not a lube (although it can be used as such). i apply it on my bolt and carrier, wrap it in aluminum, and throw it in the oven at low heat for 15 min.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:26:42 AM EDT
[#19]
It has no corrosion protection whatsoever.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

on what information do you base this statement on?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The war in the desert is bringing out quite a few vendors with gun cleaning/lube related products. CLP, when used properly, actually doesn't attract much dust. It isn't dust repellent, but I used CLP in an area of my vehicle that is prone to collecting sand, dirt, salt, etc... and I noticed that it was relatively clean even after a few days of driving. Improper training is what results in the media-hyped M16 "jams". The AR-15 can run relatively dry.

Very accurate, what I have noticed is most troops know how to clean a weapon for an IG inspection, but don't know how to clean it for usage.  It is quite common on INCONUS ranges when someone has a malf their first solution is to spray the weapon with CLP.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#22]
That seems to be absolutely true. When I went to Front Sight in June, a buddy of mine took the rifle course, while I took the handgun course. I know that he was having problems every couple of rounds. The solution he was told and used was to basically drench it in CLP.

Woo Hoo!!! Post 223.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:01:37 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

serveral salt spray tests done both here at ar15 and around the web.  

If mil-tec was not DFL it was close.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As Gregory K stated, salt spray / salt water bath tests conducted by various people on/off ARFCOM, myself included. There's a good reason why BF CLP carries the ML-L-63460 marking on the bottle label.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:25:49 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As Gregory K stated, salt spray / salt water bath tests conducted by various people on/off ARFCOM, myself included. There's a good reason why BF CLP carries the ML-L-63460 marking on the bottle label.

interesting, i didn't know that. i guess i'm OK in the desert then!
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top