Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 2:18:35 PM EDT
Posted this in the M16 section with no replies, hopefully I can find help here.  Im looking for some tips on lightening the trigger pull a bit on M16A2 trigger components, Ive got a competition coming up in which I have to bring a 8 man team of Joes out to compete against a lot of other teams within USARHAW, and I want to get every advantage possible. As far as I know there isnt a limitation on what you bring to the game so long as all the parts are still USGI and the weapon still performs a complete functions check, and shooting is done with open sights. Ive already got an advantage I feel since many of the other teams will be using M4's instead of full length M16's, but I feel that the triggers could help considerably if I can lighten the pull about 2-3 lbs, just enough to make for an easy break without being too dramatic of a reduction in pull weight.  Like I said before, I cannot remove anything for the competition, sear and all has to be in the guns to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
You could try the 5000rd trigger job that Marc likes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]
If it involves runnin 5000 rounds through the rifle, then I dont have the time or resources to do such a thing.  I dont think my entire company is allocated the amount of ammo in the next fiscal year neccessary to do that with 8 different rifles, let lone at the very beginning of the first quarter...Id have to do it within 5 days.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:01:42 AM EDT
[#3]
maybe  the 15 min ar trigger job can be applied.

15 min job
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:14:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I checked into that then I found that brownells sells two spring kits, one for under $10 and another for around $3, I think I gonna go that route so long as the springs fit a 3 shot burst trigger assembly.  Keep in mind, I cannot cut or bend springs since these rifles do not belong to me, and the stock springs need to go back into the rifles after the competition (maybe not my issue rifle, but we'll see...)
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Be sure you do NOT leave the lighter hammer spring in your duty rifle.  You may get fail to fire malfunctions, especially with milspec ammo.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#6]
That was my concern too, Ive got some M855 that I plan to pull the bullets and fire off with the primers to see if I get light primer strikes.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd have to say the 15min job is pretty neat.

I did it last night for the first time with my recent build.  Seems to have made a big difference in lightening the trigger, but nowI have to wait until Saturday to test it out
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as the break is clean, you can have a 2 oz or a 9 lb trigger which shouldn't matter. Could you convert it to a semi-auto rifle and use an aftermarket 2-stage trigger? You could then slap back the tri-burst FCG when returning to duty.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:35:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
As long as the break is clean, you can have a 2 oz or a 9 lb trigger which shouldn't matter. Could you convert it to a semi-auto rifle and use an aftermarket 2-stage trigger? You could then slap back the tri-burst FCG when returning to duty.

Nope, they open it up to inspect to make sure it doesnt have things like that in it, one requirement is that it has to pass the normal functions check which will tell you if the rifle is working correctly or not.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
One thing they are likely to check is your trigger pull to be sure it is within spec!
Why fool around with the trigger, it's a potential gottcha now or latter.

Wish I could come out to observe.
Hotgun
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, parts came in and didnt work as planned.  1.)  Hammer spring was for AR15, didnt work with M16A2 hammer sprocket on right side of the hammer.  Emailed brownells to see if they have a correct spec spring.  2.) Only came with one disconnector spring, which kinda tells you also that the kit is intended for AR15 only and not for an M16; M16 requires two but for shooting semi auto you would only need to swap out one spring.  In the end, I only left the trigger spring installed, and it seems that with only that spring the trigger pull became heavier...dont have a scale due to late household goods shipment, but by the calibrated trigger fingers God gave me a regular trigger group doesnt neccessarily feel much lighter, but it does feel better to use.  I decided to take the spring out and put the regular spring back in, and keep this spring kit for a semi auto AR, maybe itll work for that.  Im glad it only cost me $2.35 for the kit, not a big loss.

Spring Kit from Brownells, P/N 989-000-001, might be worth it on an AR.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:21:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't bother with it even for AR-15s. My stock FCG gives a ~7 lb pull and while it sounds high, it's very easy to use. There's very little trigger play/travel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I do wonder though, would a stronger trigger spring make for a lighter pull since the light trigger spring made it harder?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing I have done a couple of times is to mix grease with a very fine powdered abrasive, such as jeweller's rouge, and apply it to the trigger sear surface.  Then I dry fire the gun a couple of hundred times.

This definitely does lighten the pull, as the surfaces mate together.  Once, I ended up with a really nice trigger.  The other time, however, I ended up with almost a two stage trigger, as the parts start to slip, then catch again, then the sear breaks.  So my success rate is 50%.

If you can get access to parts stores you can try this several times until you find a set that mates without developing a hitch point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The mating surfaces are pretty well polished, although it is from age and use.  Its got a two stage feel when you pull slowly with the new spring, but the break is rediculous compared to a stock rifle (I tested ten or so rifles at random  to make sure it was heavy, and it definitely is...)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd find one you like in the armory and switch lowers before I'd monkey around with trying to lighten a trigger.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Why the 15 minute trigger job instruction does not recommend to bend trigger spring only without cutting the hammer spring? I don't really see what is the problem and I prefer to leave the hammer spring alone to assure a reliable primer strike and stronger resistance to bolt return.

Hank
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:49:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I checked into that then I found that brownells sells two spring kits, one for under $10 and another for around $3......I cannot cut or bend springs since these rifles do not belong to me....quote]  Superior shooting(rebranded ISMI) are chrome silicon and will yield a lower pull without light strikes.  JP Enterprises also has a "service pack"(or something like that) reduced power, claims #4.5lb pull.  Both of these you could leave in the rifles for duty.

I currently am waiting on a trigger pull guage to test the ISMI, JP and stock springs I have and decide which I'll keep.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top