Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/24/2005 9:40:35 AM EDT
I’m not sure how it happened but my AR15’s upper reciver has rust and pitting inside the barrel in the boor.  I’ve used several different types of brushes but I can’t get the bore smooth with just regular cleaning.  So I need some subjections on what I can do to fix the barrel.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#1]
If the barrel is truly pitted, you will NEVER get it smooth again.

Pitting is like a chuck hole in the road, but you can repave or otherwise line the bore with anything that will stay in.

The pitting will fill with jacket material/fouling more than likely. It will be a bitch to keep clean, if you really can. Accuracy may/will be affected.

It takes a lot to pit a barrel, how did you store it? Did you clean enough and properly? Do you know what pitted it and how? I would want to figure it out so as to not have it happen again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a bumpy texture on the inside bore and there was rust in it.  It took a long time of working the barrel with a brush to get the rust out and to make it shiny again, but there is a bumpy texture to the rifling now, very smellier to very course grade bead blasting, like with something the size of bebes or something.  

The upper was stored for a long time in a dresser and there was only minimal surface rust on the outside of the barrel, just a few spots on the entire outside of the barrel.  I think after it was last used it wasn’t properly cleaned and the ammo might have been corrosive.  That’s the best I could come up with.  Everything thing else, the bolt and all the other metal parts were ok.

The barrel is a RRA chromed line barrel, so I never thought it would rust like this.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top