Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2005 8:14:43 AM EDT
Who here has actually hurt a barrel by leaving in the ammonia based bore cleaner?  I've heard a lot of internet rumor but don't know of anyone who has actually hurt their rifle by leaving it in there.  I've used it on chrome lined bores and have never hurt anything.  

I'm thinking it's a rumor but could be wrong.

Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Used it for years and never had a problem and even inspected with a bore scope, not one problem but then I know not to leave cleaning agents in my barrel long.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Hmmmm....no response.  I'm thinking it's a internet rumor.
Anyone????
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you talking about Sweets, Hoppes, or what?

I have left Hoppes #9 in my bore over night, it says you can, it also says you can leave it long term.  I have used straight cleaning ammonia in a M48 too.  I plugged the barrel and used an eye dropper to drip it down the barrel to clean it.  I left it over night and when I went back to it the next day it was an unrecognizable pile of goo on the floor J/K no seriously it was fine and it remove a ton of junk from the barrel and it looked better than ever.  I do know that some of the strong copper cutters say not to leave it in the barrel long term; I think you would be best served to listen to them.

Why would you want to leave it in there long term assuming longer than over night?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#4]
It is posted around here not to leave ammonia based solvents in your barrel longer than 20 minutes or so.  But I have never met anyone who has actually hurt a barrel by leaving it in longer than that nor has anyone around here hurt a barrel....at least so far.

My guess is that it's a rumor with no basis in fact.  

Still waiting on actual bad experiences!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:13:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Still waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Doesn't ammonia hurt aluminum also? Wouldn't that hurt the reciever etc?

Maybe no one ever dared to leave it in to find out. I do know I work in a lab and we have pans (metal?) and cleaners do eat their way through them over time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Ammonia + Aluminum =

Simple Green + Receiver =

Ammonia + Steel =

ETA:
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Ammonia will remove plating.  This is just chemistry.  Resistance varies between metals, plating depth, etc.

Hoppes #9 is extremely mild and I have never been able to see that it does anything to chrome plated AR/M16 barrels.........even over 72 hrs or more exposure.  OTOH, #9 will do a job on nickel plating, given enough exposure time.  Been there.

The more aggressive copper removers (ie., those with higher ammonia content) invariably come with instructions to limit the duration of exposure.  I would be inclined to listen to the manufacturer.

If your bore is unplated you have just as much reason to adhere to those recommendations, as ammonia will promote rust.

Sam
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:46:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top