Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2005 4:20:54 PM EDT
Thought I would give it a try since I am running low on Breakfree CLP.

For those who have tried FP-10, what do you think of it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I have 2 quarts on backup.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I put it on a couple of parts that I had used some cold bluing on to color the bare metal. I cleaned the spots well and applied it. After a few days they were rusting. I clean them again two more times and reappplied it but they rusted again both times. I cleaned them again and put some CLP on them and they quit rusting. I have no idea if it is a good lube or not. It did not protect my items from rust when I used it. The almost full bottle is still sitting in the garage.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I put it on a couple of parts that I had used some cold bluing on to color the bare metal. I cleaned the spots well and applied it. After a few days they were rusting. I clean them again two more times and reappplied it but they rusted again both times. I cleaned them again and put some CLP on them and they quit rusting. I have no idea if it is a good lube or not. It did not protect my items from rust when I used it. The almost full bottle is still sitting in the garage.

I did some rust testing with salt water and FP-10 did poorly. Breakfree, Tetra, TW25B, Slip 2000 all protected much better then FP-10.

If you read FP-10's website it is full of hype. It claims that it protects from rust better then anything else. From what I have seen in my tests and many other tests FP-10 failed I don't believe one word that comes out of FP-10's mouth.....I think it is snake oil just like Militec.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#4]
never had anything rust with fp10, but i used/cleaned the ones treated that way a lot.  it is a better lubricant imho than bf, and it makes cleanup a *SNAP*... my pistols were never easier to clean than when i was using it.  3-4 patches in the bore, a light scrub, done.

but, i've gone back to bf clp, i trust it more for anti-rust.  cleans well.  high-wear areas get tw25b.  works great.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Breakfree, Tetra, TW25B, Slip 2000

I've never tested Tetra or TW-25B, but Slip 2000 Gun Lube (not the CLP, MIL-X) didn't seem to protect from rust as well as BreakFree CLP. FP-10 and Militec-1 certainly had non-existent rust/corrosion protection.

Luckily, Glocks don't require much corrosion protection. Just shoot it!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:27:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Breakfree, Tetra, TW25B, Slip 2000

I've never tested Tetra or TW-25B, but Slip 2000 Gun Lube (not the CLP, MIL-X) didn't seem to protect from rust as well as BreakFree CLP. FP-10 and Militec-1 certainly had non-existent rust/corrosion protection.

Luckily, Glocks don't require much corrosion protection. Just shoot it!

When I did my rust tests I did them several times to see if the end result would stay the same. Break free protected the best and longest with Slip 2000 very close behind(and I mean close!), it was almost hard to tell a differance.

The more I use Slip 2000 the more I like it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Send it to me! I live in Co where nothing rusts.

Tack
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been using FP-10 exclusively for about 3 years. No complaints.

My own opinion (you know what they say about those!) is there isn't a nickel's worth of difference between FP-10, BF-CLP, and Slip 2000. What you read here are all anecdotes. One guy raves, one hates something. You can't sample thousands of users, though, in any scientific way, and the testing isn't comparable unless the procedures used are identical.

FP-10 is used by US and Canadian military units. BF-CLP is also. I don't know if Slip 2000 is, but it likely will be soon. Various custom gunsmiths recommend one product or another, and some are pretty high on FP-10.

I use FP-10. I'd probably be happy with BF-CLP. I'd probably be happy with Slip 2000. As Clark Gable said in the famous movie line, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn!" Worry about more important stuff, says I. YMMV.

JPC
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#9]
FP-10 is slippery stuff... Smells good too like BF. I wish I could get an after shave in those scents. I am concerned about the rust results posted here. The past year I have been using BF and Tetra on three Glocks, a Kimber and two Bushmasters. The Tetra would make a horrible after shave but has great claims of penetration into the metal surface. Seems slick.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I assembled a striped Aramlite lower, cleaned it and all the parts for the LPK with the FP-10. Did a good job of cleaning the parts and everything went together slick as snot.....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Corrosion protection torture tests are interesting conversation, but unless you are in the habit of cleaning your wepon, lubing it, and then spraying it down with saltwater before storing it, I don't think they have much relevance.  Just about any CLP will offer adequate protection, especially if you are in a job where you routinely clean and lube your weapon.  Maybe if you live in a high humidity area or if you're trying to protect a safe queen that gets cleaned twice annually you should look for the best corrosion protection possible, but in those cases I'd bypass CLP altogether and go with a grease or Corrosion-X or some purpose-made product.  JMHO.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top