Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 6:59:34 PM EDT
just got an armalite m15 a2 ,whats a good all around lube?
for both cold and hot enviorment?
i live in the midwest and it cold in the winter and hot in the summer...
i use breakfree on my sks and pistols but this is my first ar

and not sure  as i know they need more tlc than my sks

any help would be great thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:40:50 PM EDT
[#1]
The AR does not need anymore attention than your pistols or other rifles.Just maintain it and it will do what its supposed too.
For a lube...there's nothing wrong with Break Free CLP.Ive used it for many a year without any real complaints.Ive had Break Free in my gun locker since 1989 and I trust it 100%.
The Break Free LP is pretty good too if you just need a lube/protectant.Has no solvent or PTFE and is the viscosity of the old chlorinated formula Break Free CLP from the 1980's and early 1990's.Which is the CLP formula I liked best of all that came from Break Free.The LP tends to stay put much better and does not evaporate.
The new formula CLP(green tint due to inhibitor upgrade to MIL-PRF-63460E in about 2001)thats used in the liquid bottles has less solvent than it did...therefore it also tends to stay put and not evaporate as fast as the previous amber non-chlorinated formula(change due to U.S. green laws and to meet European requirements) of the 1993-2001 era.I do not see the PTFE in the new green formula,although Im told its there.And it does not clean as it once did.The aerosol is the MIL-PRF-63460D spec and contains more solvent and therefore cleans better.Ive noticed the last couple years the aerosol now has the green tint(inhibitor upgrade) and does still contain PTFE.The new inhibitor makes the PTFE look gray rather than white as with the old amber formula.This also makes me wonder why I do not see the PTFE in the liquid bottles.Anyway...The aerosol is,by the way,the closest to the military grade Break Free CLP that we can get commercially.Check the MSDS's.Break Free is one of the best protectants on the market also.
Anyway...sorry for the Break Free history,Im a lube nut...moving on.
My personal preference is I like the Mil-comm TW-25B and MC-2500 oil for a lube.Particularly on the pistols,especially the carry guns.Its slick stuff,protects extremely well and stays put for months.Its not as easy to use as the Break Free CLP due to the fact that its only a lube and protectant.Its also a bit more expensive.That said you dont use as much lube either.
I use Hoppe's #9 for the bore and hard carbon or the Mil-comm MC-25 cleaner.
Sorry for the ramble.I got started and could not stop.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:22:15 PM EDT
[#2]
CLP. I use it and it alone and my rifle runs flawlessly.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Like above, Break Free CLP.

You can buy it at Wally*World or your local gunshop and it'll last you quite awhile.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:03:11 AM EDT
[#4]
BF CLP is a great baseline for a gun oil to use. If you rifle gives you problems, it will not be the break free causing them.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:37:54 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the feed back guys

ill stick with break free and see how that works

side note i just picked up the m15 a2 today and am excited as hell lol

been waitin 22 yrs to get an ar15 lol
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#6]
another vote for CLP
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top